The information in this thread might be outdated
If the solution did not help, please, check our Help Portal or contact Ecwid Team.

Old 11-17-2014, 06:07 PM

Question

Stripe in Test Mode

I want to use Stripe with ecwid. I have a stripe account setup and activated, and linking it to ecwid is pretty straightforward. Problem is I want to put stripe in a test mode, but i can't find a way to do this. Live mode is automaticallly enabled. How do I toggle to test mode? Where do the test api keys go? Or do you do it some other way?
Old 11-18-2014, 09:40 AM
Ecwid Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by don rupar View Post
I want to use Stripe with ecwid. I have a stripe account setup and activated, and linking it to ecwid is pretty straightforward. Problem is I want to put stripe in a test mode, but i can't find a way to do this. Live mode is automaticallly enabled. How do I toggle to test mode? Where do the test api keys go? Or do you do it some other way?
Hello,
Thank you for contacting us and welcome to Ecwid forums.

Basically, every Stripe account has two modes: one for testing, and one for running on your live online store. You can enable Stripe test mode in your Stripe admin area. Please, check the screenshot:

Once you enable test mode in Stripe, you should reconnect Stripe in your Ecwid control panel -> System settings -> Payment page. Click "Disconnect Stripe" in account details window, then click "Connect with Stripe" button again.

In test mode, credit card transactions don't go through the actual credit card network — instead, they go through simple checks in Stripe to validate that they look like they might be credit cards. You can use test cards numbers to simulate a successful transaction.

Alternatively you can test your Stripe payment method in live mode: create a test $1 product in your online store. Then purchase it using your real credit card.

⬇ Please click Thanks if my reply helped you.
Old 11-18-2014, 02:37 PM

OK, I tried that, didn't work. I went to Stripe, logged in and clicked the button to put in test mode. I logged out. I then went to Ecwid and did as instructed: acct setting --payments--disconnect from Stripe, then immediately Connect with Stripe then enable the thing then save. It comes back as live mode enabled, and when I try a test card, it tells me it failed because i'm using a test card in live mode.
I must be missing something somewhere.
Old 11-18-2014, 03:16 PM
Ecwid Team

Quote:
OK, I tried that, didn't work. I went to Stripe, logged in and clicked the button to put in test mode. I logged out. I then went to Ecwid and did as instructed: acct setting --payments--disconnect from Stripe, then immediately Connect with Stripe then enable the thing then save. It comes back as live mode enabled, and when I try a test card, it tells me it failed because i'm using a test card in live mode.
I must be missing something somewhere.
Hello,
Thank you for your report.

At the moment we are investigating the issue you faced. In the meantime you can use the following workaround in order to test Stripe payment method in live mode:

- Create the test $1 or $0.1 product in your store;
- Purchase this product using real credit card.

Old 11-21-2014, 01:00 PM

Default Stripe in test mode

Any further resolution on this? I contacted Stripe, they told me to work it out with you.
Old 11-24-2014, 11:19 AM
Ecwid Team

Quote:
Any further resolution on this? I contacted Stripe, they told me to work it out with you.
Hello,
Basically, Stripe test mode is intended for use by developers. It allows them to test integration with this payment gateway.

Ecwid is already integrated with Stripe. At the moment the opportunity to enable Stripe test mode in your Ecwid account is removed. I am sorry for misleading you.

Can you please detail why you want to enable Stripe test mode?

In case you'd like to test how Stripe payment method is working in your online store, a recommended way would be to create a test product at, e.g., $0.01 and try to buy it as a usual customer. If the payment is setup rightly, your order will be recorded in Paid status in your Ecwid control panel.

Old 02-13-2015, 01:14 PM

I'd like to use Stripe in test mode as well.
Old 02-16-2015, 10:18 AM
Ecwid Team

Dear Peter,

Thanks a lot for your message!

The best way to test Stripe and to make sure this payment method is working fine in your account is creating a dummy product with a very low price (e.g. $0.01), ordering it from your Storefront and paying for it with a valid credit card selecting Stripe as a payment method.

If the Stripe payment method is functioning properly, you will see your test order for this dummy product in your Ecwid Control Panel > Sales > Orders and the status of this order will be "Paid".

Please find the detailed instructions on setting the Stripe payment methods here: http://help.ecwid.com/customer/porta...1526727-stripe

If you have questions about the matter, please do not hesitate to contact us, we will be very glad to answer them.

Thank you!

Help Center

Old 02-16-2015, 11:09 AM

Hi Clara

Many thanks for your reply. I tried a 1 Euro transaction and it worked.

I think the reason people get confused with this is that ECWID and STRIPE have their own independent "test" modes with different definitions but a new user will think they are the same thing. From what I can tell they are as follows:

ECWID
Ecwid checks to see you have a minimum number of account properties populated in stripe that can support the ecwid <--> strip interface. If this minimum is reached (i.e. you've got your name, address, bank details and so on configured in Stripe) then Ecwid automatically sets "Live" transaction mode. In Ecwid, "Live" means that it will attempt to send transactions to Stripe regardless of whether Stripe is in its own test or live mode.

STRIP
Stripe has a "live / test" switch. The test switch lets you use failure mode card IDs and check Stripe's handling. Significantly, however, it also lets you use non-failure mode test credit card numbers to check 'good' transactions.

The confusion arises from people thinking that Ecwid is exposing Stripe's "test" switch directly in the Ecwid control panel which I don't think it is. All you are seeing there is Ecwid telling you if Stripe is sufficiently configured for Ecwid to send it data.

The thing I'm not clear about is if Ecwid forces Strip back into 'Live' mode. What I've found is that I've set "Test" mode in Stripe, then created the link with Ecwid, then checked back in Stripe and it's flipped back into 'Live' mode.

Last edited by Peter Jakobsson; 02-17-2015 at 06:46 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Peter Jakobsson For This Useful Post:
Clara K (02-16-2015)
Old 02-16-2015, 01:50 PM
Ecwid Team

Dear Peter,

Thanks a lot for your message and for your detailed explanation. Yes, you are absolutely right, Stripe has its own "test" mode.

I am sure this information will be useful to many our users.

Thanks again!

Help Center

The information in this thread might be outdated
If the solution did not help, please, check our Help Portal or contact Ecwid Team.