The information in this thread might be outdated
If the solution did not help, please, check our Help Portal or contact Ecwid Team.

Old 07-14-2010, 12:04 AM

Cart Qty field bug?

By design and presentation, it seems that the Qty # should change when when one uses the "Add More" button.
When I have added an item to the cart, if I use the Add More button to increase the number of items in the cart, the Qty number in the same box does not change to reflect the new number, (although the "# in the bag" does change) and when i go to checkout, the new number is reflected accurately.

The Qty # looks by design to be an editable number, and in fact can be edited by a user, but any change is not reflected if one goes to checkout. This is confusing.

From my perspective, the Qty # should not be editable but just a display of what the current qty is, and when it is added to the bag, then it should be replaced with the bag and words "1 in the bag, which changes when the bag is added to. Or the other option which is to have the text next to the bag stay "in the bag" and have the Qty # above it reflect the changing number of items when someone clicks on Add More - but again, make the Qty # so it is not editable.
Old 07-14-2010, 03:46 PM
Ecwid Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tierney View Post
By design and presentation, it seems that the Qty # should change when when one uses the "Add More" button.
When I have added an item to the cart, if I use the Add More button to increase the number of items in the cart, the Qty number in the same box does not change to reflect the new number, (although the "# in the bag" does change) and when i go to checkout, the new number is reflected accurately.

The Qty # looks by design to be an editable number, and in fact can be edited by a user, but any change is not reflected if one goes to checkout. This is confusing.

From my perspective, the Qty # should not be editable but just a display of what the current qty is, and when it is added to the bag, then it should be replaced with the bag and words "1 in the bag, which changes when the bag is added to. Or the other option which is to have the text next to the bag stay "in the bag" and have the Qty # above it reflect the changing number of items when someone clicks on Add More - but again, make the Qty # so it is not editable.
David,

The current behavior is correct and it was designed in a such way on purpose. Please let me describe why:

- The "Qty" input field isn't related to a number of a products in a cart or a number of available products. This field defines how many products will be added to a cart when you press the "Add to Cart" or "Add more" buttons. Thus it's editable and is equal to "1" by default.

- The number of items of a product in a cart appears on the cart page or on product details("# in the bag"). This number can be changed on a cart page, just change the value in the input boxes.

- The number of available items will be shown near the "Qty" field, if the product is limited, i.e. has quantity assigned. If the product is "unlimited", there will be no such info.
You can change this in the Ecwid control panel, the "Stock Control" section in product details.

@ecwid | Facebook | Ecwid Knowledge Base
Old 07-14-2010, 08:19 PM

Thanks for the explanation. And by the way, I think your cart overall is very well designed and developed, and appreciate it.

And speaking from one web designer to another -

Given the fairly common practice of using a Qty field to indicate the quantity of products in a cart, and the very rare usage of such a field to indicate a value to be added to a cart as how you explained, I suspect only a rare number of people will actually understand how it works. I wonder if you ran this buy a few test subjects and asked them what they thought that Qty number referred to?

If I might offer a suggestion - perhaps you could use "Add Qty" instead of "Qty", and even have a way for people to pass their cursor over that phrase for a title tag type description so people could understand it?

Just wanted to offer feedback, given my appreciation of your cart and knowing that user feedback is helpful in design improvements. Best of luck.

David
Old 07-15-2010, 02:32 PM
Ecwid Team

Thank you for the feedback, David. Your suggestions and fresh look are very appreciated.

1. From my experience with shopping carts, the "Qty" field on product details pages usually indicates the value to be added to cart.
Usually this field is a drop-down box, however in our case we use just an input box (we think it's more convenient).

I'd be great if you provide some links to stores that behave as you described.

2. If you want, you can rename the "Qty" field in your store.

The idea about "title" is very nice. What test would you expect to see in the tooltip?

Thanks for your help!

Old 07-21-2010, 12:16 AM

Thanks. Having read your response and looked at it again, I tried to make sense of what was confusing for me and this is what came to me, and again I thought I would point this out because I would be surprised if other people did not get it on their first pass of one of your carts, and thought this might help in its design.

If I go to a product page, what I see is:

Qty 1
Add to Bag

So I click on the Add to Bag button, and then what I see is:

Qty 1
In the Bag
Add More - Go to Checkout
Continue Shopping

So my somewhat unconcious interpretation of the page is that the "Qty 1" refers to what is "In the Bag" - because it simply reads that way - and so I am now thinking that the "Qty 1" is telling me how much is in the bag, which is not the case as it is functionally a factor of how much will be added to the bag if I click on the Add More button.

When I then click on the Add More button and it then reads:

Qty 1
2 in the Bag
Add More - Go to Checkout
Continue Shopping

Now I get confused because there is a number in the phrase "2 in the Bag", so my original assumption seems wrong and now I don't know what the 1 refers to.

For me and anyone like me, I think it would be more clear if after adding an item to the bag, that instead of just saying, "In the Bag", if that said "1 in the Bag". Then it would make more sense to me from the outset.

Last edited by Jere Martin; 07-21-2010 at 02:58 AM.
Old 07-21-2010, 12:57 PM
Ecwid Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jere Martin View Post
For me and anyone like me, I think it would be more clear if after adding an item to the bag, that instead of just saying, "In the Bag", if that said "1 in the Bag". Then it would make more sense to me from the outset.
Reasonable suggestion and good idea, thank you. Most likely we will change it as you suggest.

The information in this thread might be outdated
If the solution did not help, please, check our Help Portal or contact Ecwid Team.

Tags
cart, qty, quantity box