The information in this thread might be outdated
If the solution did not help, please, check our Help Portal or contact Ecwid Team.

Old 06-20-2016, 08:23 PM

It seems that true faceted filters are STILL not available

It was over a year ago that I first posted this issue, and now I see that it's still not been addressed very well. I see that a lot of others have wondered about faceted filters as well. I have studied all of the common responses from the ecwid team, and while responsive, they haven't been very helpful.

I, and others, need the kind of faceted filter functionality like the method used on this site...

https://www.houseplans.com/search

This cannot be done using the 'Separate URL' method. Business Insighter's Product Search Enhancer doesn't seem to be able to either. That leaves the 'Product Filters API', but ecwid's stock reply...

"You can use our Product and JavaScript APIs to build such links automatically to to expand functionality of Ecwid's widgets. For example, create several drop down menus and place them next to your Product browser and make each value in the drop down box open a page with products filtered by this value."

...would be the equivalent of one of them asking an online mechanic how to make their car run better, and the mechanic replying - "Easy! Just rebuild the carburetor!"

They need to keep in mind that, ecwid being as simple as it is to add ecommerce to a site, is used by people that are looking for such simplicity because we do not know how to rebuild a carburetor, and need a bit more help with it.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Steven Brame For This Useful Post:
Alax (09-30-2020), Manhattan Store (01-02-2020)
Old 08-02-2016, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Brame View Post
It was over a year ago that I first posted this issue, and now I see that it's still not been addressed very well. I see that a lot of others have wondered about faceted filters as well. I have studied all of the common responses from the ecwid team, and while responsive, they haven't been very helpful.

I, and others, need the kind of faceted filter functionality like the method used on this site...

https://www.houseplans.com/search

This cannot be done using the 'Separate URL' method. Business Insighter's Product Search Enhancer doesn't seem to be able to either. That leaves the 'Product Filters API', but ecwid's stock reply...

"You can use our Product and JavaScript APIs to build such links automatically to to expand functionality of Ecwid's widgets. For example, create several drop down menus and place them next to your Product browser and make each value in the drop down box open a page with products filtered by this value."

...would be the equivalent of one of them asking an online mechanic how to make their car run better, and the mechanic replying - "Easy! Just rebuild the carburetor!"

They need to keep in mind that, ecwid being as simple as it is to add ecommerce to a site, is used by people that are looking for such simplicity because we do not know how to rebuild a carburetor, and need a bit more help with it.
Hello Steven,

Sorry for the delayed reply. Thank you for such a vivid analogy!

I'm sorry, faceted filters like you show it on an example site is not available in Ecwid yet. You are right, this is a frequently asked feature. It may be added to one of Ecwid major releases in the future. The reason it hasn't been implemented yet, is that the list of features requested by our customers is very large and we have limited human resources. So we have to plan which features will be added to Ecwid first, which will be added later.

Those customers who do not want to wait, can modify their stores by themselves, as mentioned in the message you are referring to. Faceted filters can be added via our API, developers documentation is here: https://developers.ecwid.com/api-documentation

Or we can create a modification for those customers who want to have this feature. They may request for a quote here: https://ecwidcom.typeform.com/to/vIlijv

Concerning adding the faceted search with the link. It's possible to create buttons or menus and assign the URLs with search results to them. This article describes hot to do it in detail: https://support.ecwid.com/hc/en-us/a...

I've added several buttons of this kind to my test site to show you how you can organize search filters in your store too. Please check this short screencast: https://monosnap.com/file/YWb43X4FAm...

I used two parameters for filtering:

- price range
- category

But you can use other parameters, like product attributes and keywords. You can create as many filtering variations as you need. There may be more than 2 parameters for search in the URL, you can add more. Even without faceted filters in their classical form it is possible to have custom search in Ecwid, the number of search filters is limited only by customer's imagination.

And here is a short instruction about how to add the search buttons for Ecwid on Wix sites. I chose Wix (it's shown in the video I refer to) since it's a very popular platform, but one can do the same thing by means of other platforms (WordPress, Joomla, etc.), certainly.

1. Login to your Wix account. Open your site for editing.
2. Go to the page where your Ecwid online store is installed.
3. In the left menu press Add (plus sign) -> Button and choose the button you want to add:

4. Left-click on the chosen button and move it on top of the page (or to any other place on your site page).
5. Right above the button there will be a small menu. Click on "Change text" to change the text and URL of your button. A popup will appear.
6. In the popup menu you can enter the name of the button and then press on "Add a link". Another popup will appear where you should enter the search URL:

7. Once you finish, press the "Publish" button on right top corner to save your changes.

Let's see how filter by price and category URL was formed in my store. The search URL for my button "Fruits, price $1-3" looks like this:

HTML Code:
http://THE_URL_TO_MY_STORE_ON_WIX_SITE/#!/~/search/priceTo=3&priceFrom=1&category=19207023
In this URL the parameters mean the following:
  • priceTo=3 - the maximum products’ price is $3 (US dollar is the currency set in my store, you can have any currency, but the "$" sign should not be entered in the URL)
  • & - and (there must be one more condition met)
  • priceFrom=1- the minimum products’ price is $1
  • category=19207023 - only the products from category with id 19207023 should be shown (please refer here to learn how to find your category id: https://support.ecwid.com/hc/en-us/a...)

If something is unclear, please feel free to ask questions.

Last edited by Tara K; 08-02-2016 at 06:39 PM.
Old 02-14-2019, 08:42 AM
Ecwid Team

Hi there,

We have added the Product Filters feature in Ecwid which allows buyers to quickly find what they are looking for.
It can be enabled and set up on Business and Unlimited plans following steps described in this article: Product Filters

Happy sales!
Bill Watts (02-14-2019), smartMart (02-14-2019)

The information in this thread might be outdated
If the solution did not help, please, check our Help Portal or contact Ecwid Team.

Tags
faceted, filter, filters, search