The information in this thread might be outdated
If the solution did not help, please, check our Help Portal or contact Ecwid Team.

Old 04-21-2015, 04:01 PM

variations, product sku and printed invoice out of sync

Today i had an order for a bull statue sku 02179
but i couldn't find it, because the order invoice i printed, which is what i use to go find the product according to sku , said 'SKU 02182' (i use stickers on my products in the storeroom with the sku number on them)
The orders page says 02182, but when i click on the product link in the orders page of that order, the product says SKU 02179
Hence, i spent 2 hours looking for a box with 02182 on it, and in the end, found an item with SKU 02179 which fits the image
I then looked within the product writeup in product editor of product SKU 02179
and saw a plus over the sku (+ symbol)
i floated my cursor and it said 'This product has variations which affect this value'
That is all good and well, but excuse me, when i say, that a variation, is not necessarily a separate product in a separate box with a separate sticker and a separate SKU number on it.
The invoice printed out should not be different from the product SKU
i saw the variation in the order invoice which was a 'altar tray to place the statue on'.
The altar tray 'variation' is an 'extra item' to add, but the product remains product 02179 (plus the altar tray).
why should the original prodyct maintain its sku in the product editor, but the invoice shows a different sku? i dont have multiple items of that to pack with variation skus.. they are all the same product, and should not need two stickers on their boxes saying 02179 "and just in case they want a tray with it please remember that this product is then 02182"
If i had an employee searching and packing for me they would have been more baffled than i was
the sku shown on the invoice does not exist in my stock in the storeroom
so confusing to see SKU 02182 on the order invoice, and click on the product and see SKU 02179
total chaos, 2 hours lost, and a meaningless invoice indeed!
This discrepancy should be made visibly clear in the printed invoice and the orders data visible in cp on https://my.ecwid.com/cp/CP.html#prod...it&id=(product id)
It isn't and it is very very confusing.
Hence, i shall have to stop using variations and post variation options as separate products in future which will reduce the chances of people adding those extras, due to them not being integrated within the same product. The printed invoice and orders display does not reflect these variation issues as far as SKU is concerned, and produces danger of confusion.

Last edited by Thailand Amulets; 04-21-2015 at 04:06 PM.
Old 04-23-2015, 09:49 AM
Ecwid Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thailand Amulets View Post
Today i had an order for a bull statue sku 02179
but i couldn't find it, because the order invoice i printed, which is what i use to go find the product according to sku , said 'SKU 02182' (i use stickers on my products in the storeroom with the sku number on them)
The orders page says 02182, but when i click on the product link in the orders page of that order, the product says SKU 02179
Hence, i spent 2 hours looking for a box with 02182 on it, and in the end, found an item with SKU 02179 which fits the image
I then looked within the product writeup in product editor of product SKU 02179
and saw a plus over the sku (+ symbol)
i floated my cursor and it said 'This product has variations which affect this value'
That is all good and well, but excuse me, when i say, that a variation, is not necessarily a separate product in a separate box with a separate sticker and a separate SKU number on it.
The invoice printed out should not be different from the product SKU
i saw the variation in the order invoice which was a 'altar tray to place the statue on'.
The altar tray 'variation' is an 'extra item' to add, but the product remains product 02179 (plus the altar tray).
why should the original prodyct maintain its sku in the product editor, but the invoice shows a different sku? i dont have multiple items of that to pack with variation skus.. they are all the same product, and should not need two stickers on their boxes saying 02179 "and just in case they want a tray with it please remember that this product is then 02182"
If i had an employee searching and packing for me they would have been more baffled than i was
the sku shown on the invoice does not exist in my stock in the storeroom
so confusing to see SKU 02182 on the order invoice, and click on the product and see SKU 02179
total chaos, 2 hours lost, and a meaningless invoice indeed!
This discrepancy should be made visibly clear in the printed invoice and the orders data visible in cp on https://my.ecwid.com/cp/CP.html#prod...it&id=(product id)
It isn't and it is very very confusing.
Hence, i shall have to stop using variations and post variation options as separate products in future which will reduce the chances of people adding those extras, due to them not being integrated within the same product. The printed invoice and orders display does not reflect these variation issues as far as SKU is concerned, and produces danger of confusion.
Hello,

Thank you for sharing your concern and very sorry that you have faced this issue in your store.

Product Variations in Ecwid do not necessarily require to have a SKU different from the SKU of the original product to which the combos are applied. However, if you change some of the important parameters like price or weight, Ecwid by a logical assumption considers it to become a separate item which usually helps instead of being confusing. However, I see why it troubles you.

In this case I think I can suggest you something to help sort things out.

Imagine you have a product with a SKU number “2345” and you have a variation for it which affects its price, hence you have to change the SKU. In your case it’s an addition of an “Altar tray” to the original item.

SKU may not only be a number - it might also include text and special symbols. So, you may set the SKU for your changed product to this, for example:

In this case you will be able to find the item in your store easily by the original SKU and the additional mark “+ Altar” will give you understanding that the customer ordered the original item and the Altar tray.

Also, if you have the “Altar tray” as a separate item in your store and it has a specific SKU as well (2380, for example), you may also give this SKU to the combo:

As you see it should be even easier to find since you will only have to look for two SKUs in your store. Both SKUs will be shown on the product page and in the invoice just as well:

Hence, you may still effectively use product variations, but just arrange the SKUs a little differently.

Hope, this helps. If you have any more questions, please don’t hesitate to ask.

More tips and hints on Ecwid use in our Help Center

⬇ Please click Thanks if my reply helped you.

The information in this thread might be outdated
If the solution did not help, please, check our Help Portal or contact Ecwid Team.

Tags
sku numbers for products