The information in this thread might be outdated
If the solution did not help, please, check our Help Portal or contact Ecwid Team.

Old 04-15-2015, 03:46 PM

Default Provincial Taxes

I am having trouble understanding how to manage tax rules in Canada, when I go to add a tax rule it only has an option for the country of Canada. Is there not an easy way to individually input each provinces tax? I realize I can manage destination zones but I cant seem to get any further than that, I click the button add state and I have added all the provinces of Canada, but there is not option to write in tax rules for those destinations. If I don't add a tax rule for Canada at all, and leave the destination zones (provinces) checked will it automatically add the tax dependent on where product is being shipped?
Old 04-17-2015, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew G. W. Sweeney View Post
I am having trouble understanding how to manage tax rules in Canada, when I go to add a tax rule it only has an option for the country of Canada. Is there not an easy way to individually input each provinces tax? I realize I can manage destination zones but I cant seem to get any further than that, I click the button add state and I have added all the provinces of Canada, but there is not option to write in tax rules for those destinations. If I don't add a tax rule for Canada at all, and leave the destination zones (provinces) checked will it automatically add the tax dependent on where product is being shipped?
Hello!

Well, applying a different tax to each province or even town is totally possible. Basically, any tax rule is applied to some particular destination zone, as you correctly figured. So, we can divide the task into two steps:

Step one would be creating a separate destination zone for each zone that is going to have individual tax rate. This can be done in your Ecwid control panel > System settings > Zones section.
Just as an example, we can presume that there are 3 different tax rates: in several provinces with same taxes, let's call them A, a different rate in one province B, and another rate in town C.
So, zone A would include Canada in the "countries" list, and only those several A provinces in "States" list.
Zone B will have Canada in "countries" list, and only the province B in "States" list."
Zone C would include Canada in "Countries", and only the zip codes used in town C in zip codes list - this will make the zone point to a particular town only.

The following article explains it in detail: http://help.ecwid.com/customer/portal/articles/1163922

Step two would be easy: after you've created a tax in your Ecwid control panel > System Settings > Taxes, you'll need to simply create new rate for each zone, and assign the zone to it. Here's an with details: http://help.ecwid.com/customer/portal/articles/1182159

Hope this helps!
Old 05-08-2015, 07:52 PM

So I have to enter every postal code for a province to charge them all the same tax rate?

I can't even find such a list that won't drive me insane clicking on each town individually to get its postal code.

Somebody please tell me this isn't so.

Thanks for any help.

Greg

UPDATE:

I could ship to the US or Canada but without taxes. I created different provincial zones but each time I put a tax rate in for a new zone it also set to all the previous zones which need to be different. Is this because I put no postal codes in?

UPDATE:

Found issues with my Canada Post setup.

Last edited by Sergey; 05-09-2015 at 11:05 AM.
Old 05-14-2015, 10:31 AM
Ecwid Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Myshrall View Post
So I have to enter every postal code for a province to charge them all the same tax rate?

I can't even find such a list that won't drive me insane clicking on each town individually to get its postal code.

Somebody please tell me this isn't so.

Thanks for any help.

Greg

UPDATE:

I could ship to the US or Canada but without taxes. I created different provincial zones but each time I put a tax rate in for a new zone it also set to all the previous zones which need to be different. Is this because I put no postal codes in?

UPDATE:

Found issues with my Canada Post setup.
Hi Greg,

Sorry for delay with the reply. Let me explain how taxes are set up.

Ecwid allows setting up taxes for different regions, countries and zones, which you can specify with the help of destination zones.

You can create destination zones limited to any geographic region. For example, you can create a destination zone only for one country. If you want to set up the same tax rates for several countries, you can include all those countries in one destination zone. Then, when you create a tax, you will need to simply choose this zone from the list. Please, check this article to know more how to create destination zones http://help.ecwid.com/customer/portal/articles/1163922

Zip codes are used when you want to create a destination zone for a very small area, usually within a city. In this case using zip codes is the only way to define the area. You can find more details on how to use zip codes in destination zones in this article http://help.ecwid.com/customer/porta...stinationzones

So, if you have the same tax rates for all customers from Canada, you need to create one destination zone, where you add Canada in “Countries” field, see the screenshot http://take.ms/at0OP Then, when you create a tax for Canada, you should choose this destination zone in the list of zones, see the screenshot http://take.ms/0BlSq In this case this tax will be applied to all customers from Canada. Please, refer to this article to see how to create taxes http://help.ecwid.com/customer/portal/articles/1182159

If you want to set different taxes for different provinces, then you should do the following:

1. Create destination zone for each province. Go to your Control panel > Settings > Zones > click "New Zone" button. Name it as the province (e.g., Quebec), add Canada in "Countries" field. In "States" field click "Add state" button and choose the province from the list. Click Save.
2. Create a tax. Go to your Control panel > Settings > Taxes. Choose all the necessary settings for the tax and choose the province in the list of Zones http://take.ms/0BlSq Click Save.
3. Repeat steps 1 and 2 for each province. If you have the same taxes for several provinces, you can create one destination zone for these provinces.
In this case at checkout when a customer chooses their Canadian province from the drop-down list, they will see the tax only for their area.

If you still have questions with setting up taxes in your store, please describe how exactly you want to set up taxes: which rates and for which countries. Then I’ll be able to give you more detailed instructions.

Hope to hear from you. Also, feel free to contact us if you have any other questions about setting up your Ecwid store.

More tips and hints on Ecwid use in our Help Center

⬇ Please click Thanks if my reply helped you.

Last edited by Daria Shmanatova; 05-14-2015 at 10:50 AM.
Old 05-09-2015, 06:37 AM

Realistic examples with consinsent terminology and maybe a little spacing would be a big help. There are no states or zip codes in Canada. I don't know. I get 14 different taxes or nothing in my totals.

Last edited by Greg Myshrall; 05-09-2015 at 06:41 AM.

The information in this thread might be outdated
If the solution did not help, please, check our Help Portal or contact Ecwid Team.