The information in this thread might be outdated
If the solution did not help, please, check our Help Portal or contact Ecwid Team.

Old 12-13-2017, 06:37 PM

Does EcWid allow me to limit the purchase of one item until another item is purchased?

I have three options that I'd like to use on my storefront but I want to limit the ability to purchase Option 3 until the customer purchases Option 1 and 2 first. Is this possible?
The Following User Says Thank You to David Bower1 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-18-2017, 11:05 AM
Ecwid Team

Hello David,

Thank you for reaching us, this is Freya with Ecwid Customer Care Team. I am happy to address your question.

The product purchase limitation can be achieved in a couple of ways possible. One way is the automatic solution, designed especially for your store. The other is a manual workaround. Let me please address both below.

Hiding the products of Option3 from the storefront

In Ecwid, in case you need to limit the access to a certain product or product category you can hide it from your storefront. Upon that, you can manually grant the access to those products, using the direct link. The customers with a special link or access to a password-protected page, which you can create within your own website, will be able to purchase it.

For your purposes this option can work in the following way:

1. Create a category with products of Options3 — the ones, that require the purchase of Option1 plus Option2 prior to getting the access.

2. Disable the category itself, leaving the products active. Thus, the category disappears from the storefront.

3. Get the direct link to this category: copy it from browser address bar while being on that category page.

4. That's it. You can share this link with the customers, who already placed and paid the orders from Option1 and Option2. You can track this in their orders history in your Control Panel > My Sales > Orders: enter the customer's email in the Search bar there, and find out if he falls under the condition.

The illustrated step-by-step instruction on hiding the specific category is available in our Help Center:

To make customers aware, you may add the notes about the access to Option3 right into Option 1 and Option2 product details. Or, promote that right at the customer's checkout by using a special, free of charge app called Checkout Notices .

Such manual confirmation of access can be good in terms of ensuring the customer's access. Still, it might need your attention and additional actions to be implemented. In turn, there is a way to automatize the process of purchase limitation.

Custom store solution

If you seek for the process independence and don't want to grant the access to Option3 by yourself, we are happy to let you know this feature can be created as a custom feature right for your store.

Ecwid API platform provides great opportunities for building custom apps for the needs of your business. You may use a side developer team as our documentation is open. Otherwise, you can send a request for the Ecwid team directly.

I've contacted the customization team on your behalf and can confirm that there is a solution for your needs. Our skillful team can help you to create the solution designed specifically to set up the limits for purchasing certain products only after special conditions were fulfilled.

Please let us know if you are interested. You always can contact the team directly as well by filling in this form: Customization request.

I hope this is helpful.
Let us know if some of your questions require further assistance.

Ecwid Customer Care Team

Recover Abandoned Carts to Earn 12% More Sales !
The Following User Says Thank You to Freya S. For This Useful Post:

The information in this thread might be outdated
If the solution did not help, please, check our Help Portal or contact Ecwid Team.