The information in this thread might be outdated
If the solution did not help, please, check our Help Portal or contact Ecwid Team.

Old 10-29-2014, 10:02 PM

Need to have "first name" field visible at checkout

Hi there,

at checkout I have hidden all the fields as I don't need the shipping address. However it turns out I need the first name (and maybe the last name) of the purchaser.
Can I add it to the field asking for the email address?
This is for the script linking mailchimp and ECWID (the one discussed in another thread).

The first name has to be filled in obligatorily, while the last name can be optional.

is there an easy way to accomplish this?

As you can imagine this is quite important as without it the script won't work.

Thanks again
Old 10-30-2014, 11:07 AM

Small update:

I have reinstated the invoicing address at checkout stage, but the script still is not working as it is looking for FNAME which doesn't seem to be set.
I have noticed that in the invoicing address the first line reads: "name and surname". Perhaps that's the problem...
Is there a way to get a box that asks for the customer's name so that that info can be fed into FNAME into MailChimp?

Am I making any sense here?

Last edited by Arka; 10-30-2014 at 11:22 AM.
Old 10-30-2014, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arka View Post
Hi there,

at checkout I have hidden all the fields as I don't need the shipping address. However it turns out I need the first name (and maybe the last name) of the purchaser.
Can I add it to the field asking for the email address?
This is for the script linking mailchimp and ECWID (the one discussed in another thread).

The first name has to be filled in obligatorily, while the last name can be optional.

is there an easy way to accomplish this?

As you can imagine this is quite important as without it the script won't work.

Thanks again
Hello!

Well, actually the idea that would help in this case has already been suggested and, as you may see by its status, our team’s already working on it. Still, feel free to vote for it in our “ideas” section, so that you’ll get a notification once it’s implemented:
http://ideas.ecwid.com/forums/22031-...-customize-on-

But at the moment there’s still only “name” field available, which contains both first and last names.
Yet, a couple of elegant workarounds can be suggested. You can either use “Order comment” feature and rename it for “Enter your first name”, or do the same by creating a product option with a text input field, and call it the same. Please refer to that article for further reading:
http://help.ecwid.com/customer/portal/articles/1167219

If your goal is to export customers’ full names to Mailchimp, I suggest you use our built-in export tool, which can generate neat .csv file that you can use to extract customers’ names.
Just in case, information on integration of Ecwid with Mailchimp: http://delimewebsiteservices.com/dow...imp-subscribe/
Old 10-30-2014, 04:17 PM

Hi again Stefan,

I am talking with Jim of Delimewebsiteservices as I type trying to find a solution.
I think he has managed to get something organized (I hadn't realized the implications of asking for name AND surname in the same box until yesterday ).

In the meantime, can you advice me how I can hide everything but the name of the customer? Then with a bit of luck I will be able to ask for the first name ONLY and everything will be fine
Old 10-31-2014, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Hi again Stefan,

I am talking with Jim of Delimewebsiteservices as I type trying to find a solution.
I think he has managed to get something organized (I hadn't realized the implications of asking for name AND surname in the same box until yesterday ).

In the meantime, can you advice me how I can hide everything but the name of the customer? Then with a bit of luck I will be able to ask for the first name ONLY and everything will be fine
Hi!

Well, actually there are two solutions available here:

First one would be to just use the workaround described in this article, mentioned above:
http://help.ecwid.com/customer/portal/articles/1167219

Alternative would indeed be to hide all non-obligatory fields by means of CSS:

Please refer to this thread for a solution:
http://www.ecwid.com/forums/showthread.php?p=59007

Yet, as you may see, not all the fields are available for hiding in the second case, so I’d suggest sticking to plan A.
Old 10-31-2014, 03:46 PM

Hi Stephan,

thanks again for that.

One question, if I go along with plan A, how will I be sure that the new custom box containing whatever I like will be linked to FNAME? What I mean is that at the moment the information contained in "Full name" is being used to populate fields in MailChimp (which, BTW, is the aim of the exercise), so I wonder if there is something else I need to set somewhere...
The article you linked me says:

Quote:
If you want to have an additional field which can work as an alternative to a custom field in the checkout form, there is a workaround; in the Ecwid control panel, System Settings → General → Cart, enable the “Ask for company name” option. This will enable the Company field in the address forms on the checkout. Then rename it the way you need using this method. This custom solution will provide you with an additional information field on checkout. The information will as well be available on the order details page.
Does this mean taht I can use "Ask company name", after renaming it as I please? In this case I will have to change "customerName" to something else ("customerCompany" perhaps?) and then use that info for my needs. (I am looking at Jim's script here)

Making sense?

Last edited by Arka; 10-31-2014 at 03:53 PM.
Old 10-31-2014, 04:53 PM

Anyway, I have removed "invoicing address", but "ask company name" does not appear... It does appear if I reinstate the "invoicing address", which defeats the aim of the exercise
Old 11-07-2014, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Hi Stephan,

thanks again for that.

One question, if I go along with plan A, how will I be sure that the new custom box containing whatever I like will be linked to FNAME? What I mean is that at the moment the information contained in "Full name" is being used to populate fields in MailChimp (which, BTW, is the aim of the exercise), so I wonder if there is something else I need to set somewhere...
The article you linked me says:

Does this mean taht I can use "Ask company name", after renaming it as I please? In this case I will have to change "customerName" to something else ("customerCompany" perhaps?) and then use that info for my needs. (I am looking at Jim's script here)

Making sense?
Hello!

Well, I looked through the info that can be gathered from Ecwid to use in a script, and couldn’t for the life of me find such value. When exported into a neat CSV file it’s called just “name”, and if we look through Order API, it’s called “customer’s name”.
This leads me to assumption, that in order to feed this info to mailChimp the script renames some field to FNAME.

Yet, I apologize for not understanding the situation completely - if you are using this script as a prefabricated solution, without changing it, we can only make guesses about the principles of its functioning. In practical terms this should mean that we’d better abandon plan A and stick with plan B as more “safe” plan, as long as “name” from “billing address” is accepted as “fname”.
At least billing address can be slightly minimized (described in plan B), that would make it look a bit nicer and take less space.
Old 11-08-2014, 02:41 PM

Hi Stephan,

I'll try a few things and see how it goes...

As a "PLAN C" how can I hide the phone number?
I know how to remove "line 2" of the address, but couldn't find a method to remove that.
Old 11-11-2014, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Hi Stephan,

I'll try a few things and see how it goes...

As a "PLAN C" how can I hide the phone number?
I know how to remove "line 2" of the address, but couldn't find a method to remove that.
Hi!

Fair enough, testing is always the best way. Would greatly appreciate it if you’ll share your experience here on the forum later.

Well, request for phone number is relatively easy to hide:
First, just make the field non-obligatory in your Ecwid control panel > System Settings > Cart > Require phone number on checkout.
Now all that’s left is to hide it physically. For this you can use the CSS code below. This will hide the input box:

Code:
.ecwid-AddressForm-phone-envelope {
display: none;
}
And this JS will hide the input box name:

Code:
<script>
ecwidMessages = {
"AddressForm.phone":""
}
</script>

The information in this thread might be outdated
If the solution did not help, please, check our Help Portal or contact Ecwid Team.