The information in this thread might be outdated
If the solution did not help, please, check our Help Portal or contact Ecwid Team.

Old 01-11-2013, 05:49 PM

Your site runs fine for me.
Old 01-11-2013, 05:52 PM

No, that's the point. Everyone is turning java off because of security issues. Our IT dept. uninstalled it from all computers and is advising everyone to turn it off and/or uninstall it from there home computers. That pretty much breaks the ecwid app if everyone quits using java.

Jason
Old 01-11-2013, 05:53 PM

Try turning Java off and Javascript on.
Old 01-11-2013, 06:09 PM

IT has blocked all .js extensions from running. I assume that will not allow the site to run correctly.
Old 01-11-2013, 06:19 PM

Ah I see. That's a bind. Pretty much prevents you utilising any modern website to its full effect I would have thought. In fact I cannot think of a single site that doesn't use js

It's not related to Java which is a completely different language.
Old 01-11-2013, 08:16 PM

Ok, was able to convince IT to re-enable .js extensions and just turn off java apps. Think there was an overreaction on there part to the recent scare on the internet. After they researched it, they where ok with javascripts.

Jason
Old 01-11-2013, 08:58 PM

This will not effect sales and if the IT department disables JS files... they are simply doing a bad job. In business you need to access many online resources and application to perform daily activities. If employee's are unable to access simple JS files then I don't see how the business is cutting a profit. Seems like poor executive management decisions.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Derek Bess For This Useful Post:
Eugene Rimmer (01-12-2013), Qetzal (01-13-2013)
Old 01-12-2013, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Rhymes View Post
With the recent round of security issues (again) with java companies are now removing user access to java at a very rapid pace including mine. Even many home users or uninstalling it. Is ecwid planning to develop on another platform? I now have some customers saying they can no longer access my site because there company removed java. What should I do to keep my business going?

Jason
Jason, Ecwid does not rely on Java plugin in your browser and never was. Ecwid uses the very same latest Web technologies as Gmail, Facebook and other online applications.

Yes, Ecwid does rely on JavaScript, as do 90% of other sites these days. Try disabling JavaScript and open any site you enjoyed - it won't be the same. JavaScript to Java is like hamster to a ham - not nearly the same thing. And since JavaScript is being used so widely and is actually built by the browser vendors, not bolted on as a plugin, it is hardly possible that JavaScript will ever be removed from the web.

So, your business as wel as the businesses of the all Ecwid clients is safe - browser vendors are not going to remove JavaScript, and the visitors are unlikely to disable JavaScript, since this will ruin every bit of their online experience these days. Java (which is utterly different from JavaScript) may be disabled or completely removed from browsers (and the same may happen to infamous Adobe Flash platform) - Ecwid will still work, as we do not utilize those platforms in any way in Ecwid.
Old 01-30-2013, 12:23 AM

Considering everything is basicly javascript, I am worried about customers that have java disabled in their browser. Some may have it disabled and not know it was and not know how to enable it. Is there a code for a button or something that will enable java for them? Perhaps a way to force java to work just for that page or the site?

Example: If the page is loading incorrectly, you may have Java disabled. CLICK HERE to enable.

I actually read today on that Mozilla was going to be disabling Javascript and Silverlight in their next release and users will have to go into settings to enable them. Again, most consumers wont know how to do that. I am assuming this will effect the usability of our carts for many people.

Last edited by Eugene Rimmer; 02-01-2013 at 02:59 PM.
Old 02-01-2013, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Energy Reclaimer View Post
I actually read today on that Mozilla was going to be disabling Javascript and Silverlight in their next release and users will have to go into settings to enable them. Again, most consumers wont know how to do that. I am assuming this will effect the usability of our carts for many people.
This is a misinformation. Mozilla ends the support for Java plugin, not JavaScript. Please, refer to this post: http://www.ecwid.com/forums/showthread.php?p=74509

Last edited by Eugene Rimmer; 02-01-2013 at 03:01 PM.

The information in this thread might be outdated
If the solution did not help, please, check our Help Portal or contact Ecwid Team.

Tags
java, security