The information in this thread might be outdated
If the solution did not help, please, check our Help Portal or contact Ecwid Team.

Old 05-22-2015, 03:21 AM

Default PDF download is taken care of but how about Syncing to a Digital Library?

Hi ECWID Team,

I recently posted about being able to sell a Digital Comic in both PDF format (link to download) and a Sync to a Digital Library. The PDF download link will be easy thanks to your walk-through! However, how about syncing to a Digital Library? Allow me to walk you through the process:

1. A customer would go to our store, find the issue he/she wants to purchase and add it to cart.
2. They checkout and make the purchase
3. Instead of an email coming with a link to download the PDF, we want to sync that content to their personal library on our servers so they can view it or download if they wish from our app. So, once they load their app, the titles/issues they have purchased show up there for reading.

How would I set that up? Please note, I still want to offer the PDF as an option but some people want it on their app instead.

Before you answer, thank you for the wonderful service so far. You really are making it easy to create a store.

Thanks!
Jeff
Old 05-22-2015, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Palumbo1 View Post
Hi ECWID Team,

I recently posted about being able to sell a Digital Comic in both PDF format (link to download) and a Sync to a Digital Library. The PDF download link will be easy thanks to your walk-through! However, how about syncing to a Digital Library? Allow me to walk you through the process:

1. A customer would go to our store, find the issue he/she wants to purchase and add it to cart.
2. They checkout and make the purchase
3. Instead of an email coming with a link to download the PDF, we want to sync that content to their personal library on our servers so they can view it or download if they wish from our app. So, once they load their app, the titles/issues they have purchased show up there for reading.

How would I set that up? Please note, I still want to offer the PDF as an option but some people want it on their app instead.

Before you answer, thank you for the wonderful service so far. You really are making it easy to create a store.

Thanks!
Jeff
Hello Jeff,

Thank you for your kind words and for detailed explanation!

Unfortunately, in this case it won't be as easy, but still possible.
Since we'll have to pass information to your app for syncing, something should work as a bridge between Ecwid and the app, so certain amount of custom programming will be involved to create this bridge (almost any of web-programming languages like PHP, Perl, Python, Ruby, etc. will do).

I can suggest the following approach:

Step 1: each product should get a copy, with different description (so a customer will know what he's getting) and without a file uploaded, so your customers don't get both .pdf and updated library for a single item (and so step 4 would be significantly easier).

Step 2: once a customer places an order, our Instant Order Notifications API can be utilised to send a callback bringing the script to life.
Also, it provides "Order ID" value, which we'll need in step 3. Here's info on our ION API: http://help.ecwid.com/customer/porta...ifications-api

Step 3: at this point we should check, if a particular newly-placed order contains any of the products that should require syncing with the library.
So, we could utilise Order API to call for a list of products purchased in the order with a particular order ID. Here's info on it: http://help.ecwid.com/customer/porta...6917-order-api

At this point the Ecwid-related part is almost over, so I'm just making guesses at possible solution - you may as well make it work differently, and still get excellent results.

Step 4: If none of product ID's from the order match the ones from the list-of-product-ID's-that-should-be-synced (I believe such list will be needed too), script can stop working here.
In case some of them do -> step 5.

Step 5: This part is a mystery to me as unfortunately I'm not familiar with your app's API or principles of working, so I'll describe it in general.
But I believe that product ID's, acquired in step 3 and confirmed (as the ones that require syncing) in step 4, should be converted into something your app would understand, and sent to it.

Hope this helps!
Old 05-27-2015, 02:41 AM

Talking

Thank you very much! Not what I was hoping to hear but if it was easy, everyone would do it. I have someone to help me with code, so hopefully this isn't an issue.

Now, a follow up question about ECWID that may save me some coding from the above. My site is built with multiple places to buy throughout the site. So, for example, if you are in our Faceted Browse, you can see a list of titles with images but under each one is "add to cart" or "read". This same layout of "add to cart" or "read" is throughout the site to promote purchase. Here is a mock-up image to help as an example:

Since we will be setting up the above, does the ECWID widget have to be placed on a page which basically loads a store (which then needs a store front) or can I insert the widget inside the global code so that anywhere there is a "add to cart", the ECWID code triggers and adds the item to cart?

This would save me a TON of time, as I would no longer need an actual store page and could use the site itself to its full potential without needing another page as a marketplace.

(If you want me to open this as another thread, just let me know and I'll do so).

Thank you!
Jeff

Last edited by Jeff Palumbo1; 05-27-2015 at 02:48 AM. Reason: Adding image URL
Old 05-27-2015, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Palumbo1 View Post
Thank you very much! Not what I was hoping to hear but if it was easy, everyone would do it. I have someone to help me with code, so hopefully this isn't an issue.

Now, a follow up question about ECWID that may save me some coding from the above. My site is built with multiple places to buy throughout the site. So, for example, if you are in our Faceted Browse, you can see a list of titles with images but under each one is "add to cart" or "read". This same layout of "add to cart" or "read" is throughout the site to promote purchase. Here is a mock-up image to help as an example:

Since we will be setting up the above, does the ECWID widget have to be placed on a page which basically loads a store (which then needs a store front) or can I insert the widget inside the global code so that anywhere there is a "add to cart", the ECWID code triggers and adds the item to cart?

This would save me a TON of time, as I would no longer need an actual store page and could use the site itself to its full potential without needing another page as a marketplace.

(If you want me to open this as another thread, just let me know and I'll do so).

Thank you!
Jeff
Hmm, if I understood you correctly, this could be easily done. Yet, just to make sure we're on the same page here, allow me to start from the beginning.

If you'd like to use custom product pages, instead the ones that come as part of product browser widget, it's totally possible too - with the use of our single product widget you can embed a product on any page of your website.

Basically, it's just embeddable "Add to cart" button, pressing which results in adding this item exact item to shopping cart (optionally, you could also add product image, description, qty, etc), and you can embed as many of those per page as you want.
Single product widget is good in case you prefer to keep custom pages, and it indeed doesn't require product browser to be on the same page. In case a product is added, a cart page will open in a popup window with product browser in it, that would allow a customer to proceed with the purchase.

As not everyone finds popup windows comfortable, we have an alternative solution: there's a small tweak, which will make a customer get redirected to the page where the product browser is installed and then the necessary actions will be performed. In this case, product browser still needs to be placed on some page of your website, but you won't have to worry about your clients seeing actual product pages - product browser will be used for checkout only. Please, refer to the following article, if you prefer this approach, it explains the detail: http://help.ecwid.com/customer/porta...ductbrowserurl

The same works for the rest of widgets, that exist on pages that don't contain product browser.

Hope this helps!

The information in this thread might be outdated
If the solution did not help, please, check our Help Portal or contact Ecwid Team.

Tags
comics, digitallibrary