The information in this thread might be outdated
If the solution did not help, please, check our Help Portal or contact Ecwid Team.

Old 09-30-2011, 05:04 PM

Need for an explicit import/export product data tutorial in the knowledgebase

Apart from a desire to have much better batch editing of product data

http://ideas.ecwid.com/forums/22031-...roduct-editing

it would be extremely helpful to the community if Ecwid would write up a detailed KB article on the best practices for importing and exporting product data, particularly for those who want to use Google Spreadsheets to edit data.

I'm particularly interested in workflows for replacing the entire product catalog, appending new products, or for example just changing the weights of all or some products (can I import just two columns--SKU and weight--and have just that data replaced?).

The other issue is the html formatting in the description. I feel it might be nice to allow templates for description styles on Ecwid, so that the user would have the option to import/export in plain text format, thus making description editing a lot easier for non-html users when using Excel or Google Spreadsheets. I realize that some users perform sophisticated styling in their descriptions, but I bet a lot of us are just changing global text formatting (font, size).

The reason I'm asking, is that I've got 180 products in my catalog and I'm very scared about screwing things up with a bad import. Also, now that I think about it, it would be very useful to be able to backup product databases in Ecwid, so that before a big import, I could backup and have the option of restoring if my import screws things up.
Old 10-18-2011, 04:59 PM

Follow-Up to Original Post

Out of necessity, I jumped in and performed an Import, which worked pretty damn well, actually. I was not successful in importing everything at once (180+ items); I had to break up my inventory into groups of 30 or so for it to work. Still would like the ability to save inventory sets and backup. The inventory database is the heart of any shopping cart and any problems with it would be disastrous for business.
Old 10-18-2011, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PT-TCR View Post
Follow-Up to Original Post

Out of necessity, I jumped in and performed an Import, which worked pretty damn well, actually. I was not successful in importing everything at once (180+ items); I had to break up my inventory into groups of 30 or so for it to work. Still would like the ability to save inventory sets and backup. The inventory database is the heart of any shopping cart and any problems with it would be disastrous for business.
Ecwid differs from many other shopping cart solutions in the aspect of data durability: we keep the backups of everything in the Ecwid stores, we log all the activity extensively and we monitor those logs all the time. There was a number of cases when merchants asked our engineers to restore some data (like a product being deleted by the store owner by mistake). Never we had any data lost.

This is the key difference between Ecwid and other solutions. When you install any other shopping cart to your site - you are in charge to keep backups, protect your store from hackers, restore the data and so on. When you use Ecwid - you can rely on our highly professional team to do that boring stuff, and instead concentrate on your business.

Still, if you need some kind of backup of your products, you can at least export them all by using Export All button in the Ecwid control panel → Products, and if you need even more, you can grab all the products data with a custom script using Ecwid's Product API.
Old 07-18-2012, 01:35 AM

The Export All CSV contains only part of the product data. It does not, for example, contain product options, product variations or product gallery images.

The lack of a way to completely back up information is a serious problem for me. I need to change my billing info and Ecwid FAQ recommends downgrading my plan (confusingly referred to as "cancel your current subscription") and then upgrading it again (confusingly referred to as "starting a new subscription"). I'd love to do this, but I'm worried about losing months of work.

As far as I am concerned, Ecwid does not have a backup system.
Old 07-18-2012, 09:23 AM

Please refer to my reply in http://www.ecwid.com/forums/showthre...57701#poststop
The Following User Says Thank You to Kess For This Useful Post:
Matan Arie (07-18-2012)
Old 07-18-2012, 10:09 AM

Thanks!

The information in this thread might be outdated
If the solution did not help, please, check our Help Portal or contact Ecwid Team.

Tags
backup, csv, export, import, knowledgebase