The information in this thread might be outdated
If the solution did not help, please, check our Help Portal or contact Ecwid Team.

Old 04-16-2012, 08:48 PM

Question

ecwid search script seems infinitely wide in wordpress

Hi css people, this is not directly an ecwid related issue, but i am posting in the hope of any feedback.

Using 2010 theme and wordpress at least, when i insert the script for the product search from ecwid, the whole navbar is wrapped under the main content instead of aligning to the sidebar

the widget area for the sidebar has two sections. When i put it in the top section, any widgets under it are thrown to the bottom of the page
Considering the width parameter in css does not work for the script tag, i cant insert the search module anymore

i tried inserting it into the top of page temlpate but that also makes the page so wide that it shoves the navbar under the page content instead of a float and wrap to the right..

It only happened since today as i dragged the search widget and added a custom menu
Strangely, all my navigation links now appear with the square 'ul + li' icons left of each link, which didnt show before, and i haven't added any css at all. The current css says also that ul and li should have no style to it, so this baffles me totally how a css design can change all by itself?
Am i going crazy?

does anyone know of a way to control the width of a script tag with css?
this has always been a parameter that should be included in css, as the script tag ofen causes alignment and width problems, at least as far as my own css design methods are concerned.
My latest effort resulted in the top sidebar widget not working with the search script (too wide and falls under the page)
But the Bottom sidebar widget is ok and the script shows within the 180 pixel navbar no problem
in the page template it doesnt, it stretches the width of the content wrapper again and navbar is shoved under the bottom of the page.

Obviously a wp css problem - anyone?

Last edited by Thailand Amulets; 04-16-2012 at 08:50 PM.
Old 04-16-2012, 09:03 PM

Can you please give an address of the page where that happens?
Old 04-16-2012, 09:05 PM

Yes thailand-amulets.net is the domain

more feedback
inserting the search module int the top sidebar widget alone, and the rest of my widgets in the bottom widget area of the sidebar, results in about 1000pixel height white space below the search module.
After repeated shuffling, it is definitely the ecwid search module
the width css parameter works for some reason but not the height one, which i did write into the snippet. How strange indeed.

Not sure if i feel good about an ecwid assistant having to spend valuable time looking at it though as im sure its a wordpress theme issue not an ecwid one of course (probably)
Old 04-16-2012, 09:10 PM

just took the search and put it BOTTOM of the rest of the widgets in the lower sidebar widget area all together, and leave the top widget area empty.. and guess what?
The search module appears now at the TOP of everything (even though its at the bottom of all widgets), then the default meta and archive sidebar widgets appear! (wordpress default not dynamic sidebar)

wow! sorcery at work! how can it appear at the top when its inserted at the bottom? i think im going to remove the php snippet from sidebar.php and leave only the dynamic sidebar dialogue
Old 04-16-2012, 09:14 PM

I have now removed the search bar as i am online and many visitor all day. i shall test it on xammp locally when i have time.
Old 04-17-2012, 11:55 AM

the search bar works in the bottom of the widget. Not anywhere else
So my users will have to search from bottom of page. At least it is insertable until i find the problem.

I have noticed this in wordpress before that some scripts have a very high blank space margin under them, and leave a long scrolling task to see the content under it. It is nothing to do with ecwid and so is a theme based problem i am sure. If i find a solution then i shall post it here
Old 04-19-2012, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thailand Amulets View Post
the search bar works in the bottom of the widget. Not anywhere else
So my users will have to search from bottom of page. At least it is insertable until i find the problem.

I have noticed this in wordpress before that some scripts have a very high blank space margin under them, and leave a long scrolling task to see the content under it. It is nothing to do with ecwid and so is a theme based problem i am sure. If i find a solution then i shall post it here
Can you please try to insert it into the top at least for a while so we could investigate the problem? Please, let us know.

The information in this thread might be outdated
If the solution did not help, please, check our Help Portal or contact Ecwid Team.

Tags
css, float, script tags, search module, width