The information in this thread might be outdated
If the solution did not help, please, check our Help Portal or contact Ecwid Team.

Old 10-06-2011, 02:20 PM

Shipping - User Defined Methods

Can someone please explain to me what can be done with the "user defined methods" panel in the shipping set up?
Old 10-06-2011, 02:31 PM

User defined shipping methods allow to set simple rules to calculate the order shipping cost based on the customer's location, order weight and number of items. Each user defined method can be made available to customers when their order total weight fits some particular limits; for each destination zone in your store you can define a cost calculation rule that consists of a per order, per item and per weight unit rates. So, the final cost is calculated by the formula:
Code:
Shipping cost = per order rate + (number of items in order × per item rate) + (total weight × per weight unit rate)
- all 3 rates are always used.

Such system allows for simple table rate shipping cost calculations or some very interesting shipping cost schemes: http://kb.ecwid.com/w/page/15853310/Shipping#Examples

What exactly do you want to do with the help of the user defined shipping methods?
Old 10-06-2011, 02:41 PM

Hey thanks for the info. I'm just trying to figure out what's possible with it, you kinda cleared that question up for me
Old 10-06-2011, 02:43 PM

Just taking a look at the link you gave me brings up another question...
when creating products, I noticed that by default the weight can only be defined by lbs., and I have items that I could define their weight by oz. or grams, is there a way to change this so I can define weight by grams for certain items that are under a pound?
Old 03-30-2012, 05:33 PM

Hello, I have 3 products and I set up the user defined shipping option to assign different shipping rates for each based on USA, Canada, EU....

however, here is where im not sure if i set everything up right.... I want to charge 25% of the total price for USA and 30% for Canada and EU. So I assigned the regions to each product, disabled fedex ups usps and set the shipping option on each product to global settings. Should this work?

In the example article a fixed dollar amount was set for the different regions however, I want to use percent of total cost differences.

Also, do I have to assign a weight to my products in order to use this option? Thanks Wendye
Old 03-30-2012, 06:01 PM

I have no idea Wendye! Ive even asked people who have studied in maths to help me get my figures right and theyre struggling to work out how Ecwid operates. I have some items that are the same weight but i want some to go first class recorded cause they are alot cheaper and others of the same weight to go special delivery.

Last edited by Debbie Moore; 04-08-2012 at 01:58 AM.
Old 03-30-2012, 06:04 PM

ps some have replied but not about this particular question.

Last edited by Debbie Moore; 04-08-2012 at 01:59 AM.
Old 03-30-2012, 06:09 PM

I hope that someone helps you soon. it would be terrible to have to close your store after so much work. Im keeping my fingers crossed for you to get help soon
Old 03-30-2012, 06:15 PM

Thank you Wendye!!

Last edited by Debbie Moore; 04-08-2012 at 01:59 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Debbie Moore For This Useful Post:
wendye walter (03-30-2012)
Old 03-30-2012, 08:13 PM

You are very welcome. I don't mean to ask a silly question... but just wanted to check with you first - have you tried the user defined shipping option? I got my first sale today after making that earlier post and my settings seem to be working ok. Still wishing for you all the best.
Wendye

The information in this thread might be outdated
If the solution did not help, please, check our Help Portal or contact Ecwid Team.

Tags
defined, methods, shipping, user