The information in this thread might be outdated
If the solution did not help, please, check our Help Portal or contact Ecwid Team.
Closed Thread

Old 06-12-2013, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Conduct View Post
Could you please at least tell us broadly what the new impressive Ecwid v14 will include so that your 320 000+ users (many of which paid users) can plan for the future and get some peace in mind that you are on top of things. Most developers are fairly open with upcoming features, e.g. Wordpress, Genesis, Woocommerce etc. This would be highly appreciated.

Best regards,
Stefan
I agree, having a solid idea of upcoming features would be nice. It's hard to get any sense of direction using the wishlist / idea section of ecwid. A quick rundown would help us during this wait.
Old 06-12-2013, 04:40 PM

Eugene,

Thanks for the progress update. I'm excited about the upcoming release. As a web developer, I understand the need for thorough testing and I appreciate your team's diligence in that process. A few impatient users is nothing compared to the nightmare of a buggy release.

-Glen
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 2020 For This Useful Post:
Lanna (06-13-2013), Maya (06-12-2013)
Old 06-12-2013, 08:26 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Margriet Pronk

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2020Promo View Post
Eugene,

Thanks for the progress update. I'm excited about the upcoming release. As a web developer, I understand the need for thorough testing and I appreciate your team's diligence in that process. A few impatient users is nothing compared to the nightmare of a buggy release.

-Glen
I agree with that, I have rather that the release is working fine, then that is not is working.
Old 06-13-2013, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene Rimmer View Post
Truly so, but none of those sites could ever be embeddable like Ecwid is. Hardly ever possible, that any of those 10 sites would have 320,000+ users, each user embedding that site into some other site, like it happens with Ecwid.
If Ecwid was truly "embeddable", it wouldn't matter if it was running on one site or 1 million sites. If this really is an issue, getting customers to test it ahead of a launch would help produce a much better final product. Nobody is asking you to release it today. We're asking for a clearly communicated roadmap and the ability to participate in the testing to make sure it will truly fix the mobile issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene Rimmer View Post
We are working on a new version of Ecwid. If it would only include the responsive design, this wouldn't be any impressive - not many people know what responsive design even means.
You don't think the average web shopper can tell when product images can't be seen and checkout form fields go off the screen? It's 2013. There were 700 million smartphones sold last year. Responsive design isn't "impressive" anymore. It's mandatory.

Here's the issue:

1) In this thread, Ecwid staff has asked for help in testing, but hasn't provided any directions on how to help. A closed beta test was mentioned on February 21st in the suggestions area. No news after that.

2) The responsive mode "beta" is still documented in the KB, but it doesn't fully work right. A working responsive design works here though (and has for quite some time): http://jsfiddle.net/Qetzal/dAedy/ Why can't that code be made available as the beta? Customers that understand that they're losing mobile sales can then manually turn it on and tweak their CSS.

I've got Ecwid installed on many client sites. 100% of these clients are aware of the mobile issues and are constantly asking about it. The lack of info coming from Ecwid is very frustrating.

If anyone thinks there are only a few "impatient users", please do a search around this site.

P.S. The launch of the new non-responsive Ecwid website seems to confirm the lack of commitment to the ever-growing mobile user base.
Old 06-13-2013, 10:12 PM

So, I too was frustrated with the lack of responsive development happening, but there are a few things that every can do to jump start the process. The first is to turn on the responsive script on your store by adding "responsive=yes" to the code. It should look something like this:
Quote:
<script data-cfasync="false" type="text/javascript"> xProductBrowser("categoriesPerRow=3","views=grid(3 ,3) list(10) table(20)","categoryView=grid","searchView=list"," style=", "responsive=yes"); </script>
Next... you should host your own images (and size them correctly) adding them to the product description with html. This will help the div structure in the mobile view look correct, as well as give you larger image sizes than ecwid allows. I do recommend that you leave an image uploaded in the ecwid gallery, so that you will have thumbnail images elsewhere. To keep that image from displaying you should add this code to the top of your product description (in the html editor of course):
Quote:
<style type="text/css"><!--
div.ecwid-productBrowser-details-thumbnail {
display: none;
}
--></style>
As long as everything is nested nicely in a responsive site - your ecwid cart will play nicely in your div structure. Now i'm not sure how this will work if you're using anything other than your own site (aka joomla, wp, ect.) but it works well for my company.

You can see how it looks here: http://karbonspeed.com/aero-wheel-store.html

Hope this helps some people out.
Old 06-14-2013, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by james.blair View Post
but there are a few things that every can do to jump start the process.
Jump start? Yes. Full solution? No.

This improves the product pages (at the expense of a lot of manual work), but the checkout process is still cut in half on many smartphones.

All of this work will likely need to be undone when the next version comes out.
Old 06-21-2013, 07:30 PM

It's now the beginning of summer. Any news?
Old 07-01-2013, 11:04 AM

July 1st.

I could definitely do with an ETA on this.

I have a potential client I would sign up for the unlimited plan, but they need responsive, or it's a no-go.
Old 07-10-2013, 12:19 AM

July 9th.

This is ridiculous. No information whatsoever. Your company has just about lost all credibility with my and my clients.

David
Old 07-10-2013, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Dahl View Post
July 9th.

This is ridiculous. No information whatsoever. Your company has just about lost all credibility with my and my clients.

David
July 10. We have released v.14 including the feature of responsive design. You can enable it in your Ecwid control panel → System Settings → General → Migrations
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Eugene Rimmer For This Useful Post:
2020 (07-10-2013), Elegance Reef (07-10-2013), Grant Preston (07-11-2013), JCT (07-10-2013)
Closed Thread
The information in this thread might be outdated
If the solution did not help, please, check our Help Portal or contact Ecwid Team.

Tags
mobile