The information in this thread might be outdated
If the solution did not help, please, check our Help Portal or contact Ecwid Team.

Old 04-17-2011, 08:04 PM

So close, and yet so far: order & confirmation pages getting cutoff

hello (again),

I am down to the last few changes I need to make in order to be able to use Ecwid on my site. It is a nice solution and I am incredibly impressed by the quality of the support, something that is glaringly missing in most other ecommerce services (and I have tested most of the major ones).

One major problem I am having appears from the forum posts to be a common one: the "place order" and "order confirmation" pages are getting cutoff on the right side in IE8. This problem does not happen in other browsers.

I have read through all the forum posts and the problem appears to be a DOCTYPE error. Unfortunately, I am not a web designer and have no access to the HTML code through my WYSIWIG editor (Intuit Homestead).

This is the closest response I can find in the forum threads to a similar situation:

http://www.ecwid.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3921

In which Eugene k. replied:
"Thank you. The issue is caused by the way the widgets are added to your site. Your site is flash-based and all HTML snippets are added by means of iframes. The platform you use to build your site doesn't add a proper doctype to these iframes, so Internet Explorer renders it in the so-called "quirks" mode and doesn't display a code in a good way. All other browsers work OK.

The best and proper way is to ask your WYSIWYG site builder to fix the problem with doctypes in iframes. However, I beleive they will not change this quickly enough (if even change), so I think we should find a workaround. Please, report this issue to our bug-tracker, we will try to find it.

So, assuming I understand the problem correctly, is there yet a workaround or solution to this problem?

here is a screenshot:
http://www.mindfulhands.com/order_page_cutoff.jpg
Old 04-24-2011, 05:38 PM

well, i take back what i said about customer support

<sigh>

I am still looking for a solution to this problem as Intuit Homestead users are LEGION, and ecwid appears to be an ideal solution for people who have limited knowledge of html and css. Intuit's current 2 e-commerce solutions are horrible, and ecwid would be a good alternative,

if only it would work...
Old 04-25-2011, 04:48 PM

Unfortunately, I was not able to access the page referred on that screenshot - it is password protected.

But anyway, the DOCTYPE thing is rather simple. In your HTML documents the very first non-empty line should be exactly equal to one of the predefined DOCTYPE strings in order to get primarily IE browser to display that page according to web standards. If your document doesn't have a doctype at all, OR the doctype is not in the list of know doctypes for IE, the document will be displayed in the so called quirks mode (that was historically the first practically available viewing mode for any HTML document, so if you rely on newer technologies, the browser needs some clear distinction).

So the first line in your HTML documents on your site should be the following:
Code:
<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd">
Currently you have it almost the same, but a little bit different (you don't have the URL in it, my version of declaration does have the URL). Your current doctype declaration makes IE versions 6 to 8 consider your site to be made with older technologies and not display it as you might expect. So, please, correct the first lines in your HTML documents, especially the shop page, so that they appear EXACTLY as I mentioned it above - this will fix the Ecwid display for you.
Old 04-25-2011, 06:32 PM

Hi Eugene,

thank you for your reply. I understand exactly what you are saying and the changes that need to be made to the DOCTYPE line in the HTML. I use a program called Intuit/Homestead Sitebuilder which generates the HTML code for me. It is a fabulous program that is a perfect solution for small business owners such as myself who do not have the webskills (or the time or resources) to learn HTML. But unfortunately, what that means, is that I have no access through the program to the actual HTML. I cannot make changes to it.

In my original post, I quoted Eugene K:
"The best and proper way is to ask your WYSIWYG site builder to fix the problem with doctypes in iframes. However, I beleive they will not change this quickly enough (if even change), so I think we should find a workaround. Please, report this issue to our bug-tracker, we will try to find it."

I have e-mailed Homestead's customer support to see what they say about this issue, but have not heard back yet. In the meantime, based on Eugene K's reply to another ecwid user, I was under the impression that you (meaning ecwid) are looking for a workaround for this problem. Is that true? I was unable to find any bug report about this issue, so was wondering if there has been anything further done?

thank you again,

I am indeed impressed by the ecwid support team's knowledge and willingness to help.

-sally
Old 04-26-2011, 07:48 PM

here is the message I received today from Intuit/Homestead customer support:

"Hi Sally,

Thanks for your message.

Unfortunately we do not support access to the HTML code of your Sitebuilder pages with our service at this time.

All pages created with SiteBuilder are generated using HTML customized for our web servers. This customized HTML refers to special files and programs that are stored on our servers.

However, we take member feedback very seriously into account in planning new features and upgrades. I have forwarded your message to our Product team for consideration in a future release. "
Old 04-28-2011, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sally Scime View Post
here is the message I received today from Intuit/Homestead customer support:

"Hi Sally,

Thanks for your message.

Unfortunately we do not support access to the HTML code of your Sitebuilder pages with our service at this time.

All pages created with SiteBuilder are generated using HTML customized for our web servers. This customized HTML refers to special files and programs that are stored on our servers.

However, we take member feedback very seriously into account in planning new features and upgrades. I have forwarded your message to our Product team for consideration in a future release. "
Thanks for keeping us informed. I hope the Sitebuilder team will be able to solve their editor problem soon.

Meanwhile we would like to investigate the case in details from our side. Could you please give us a link to the page where you see this problem, so that our engineers could inspect it and possibly find a workaround for you.
Old 04-29-2011, 12:13 AM

Eugene, thanks for following up. Here is my ecwid test page:

http://www.mindfulhands.com/TEST_ChrisEngnoth.html

I've taken password protection off and changed settings to DEMO payments so all purchases will go thru.

The problem is that the "place order" and "order confirmation" pages are getting cutoff on the right side in IE8. This problem does not happen in other browsers. (I'm also using Windows XP, I don't know if that makes a difference or not)

Honestly, if you and your engineers can figure out a solution for this (when users don't have access to the HTML to change the DOCTYPE), I will sing your praises to all of INTUIT's website customers! They only have 2 e-commerce solutions right now: the first lacks both flexibility and functionality and the second is HORRIBLY complicated and hard to use. Ecwid (so far) seems to be an ideal mix of great features and (relatively) easy to integrate into an existing Intuit Storefront.

Thanks!

-sally
Old 04-29-2011, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sally Scime View Post
Eugene, thanks for following up. Here is my ecwid test page:

http://www.mindfulhands.com/TEST_ChrisEngnoth.html

I've taken password protection off and changed settings to DEMO payments so all purchases will go thru.

The problem is that the "place order" and "order confirmation" pages are getting cutoff on the right side in IE8. This problem does not happen in other browsers. (I'm also using Windows XP, I don't know if that makes a difference or not)

Honestly, if you and your engineers can figure out a solution for this (when users don't have access to the HTML to change the DOCTYPE), I will sing your praises to all of INTUIT's website customers! They only have 2 e-commerce solutions right now: the first lacks both flexibility and functionality and the second is HORRIBLY complicated and hard to use. Ecwid (so far) seems to be an ideal mix of great features and (relatively) easy to integrate into an existing Intuit Storefront.

Thanks!

-sally
Thank you, I've now passed your request to developers, and I'll post updates on progress.
Old 04-29-2011, 05:50 PM

Thank you!!

The information in this thread might be outdated
If the solution did not help, please, check our Help Portal or contact Ecwid Team.

Tags
ie8, order confirmation page, page cutoff