The information in this thread might be outdated
If the solution did not help, please, check our Help Portal or contact Ecwid Team.

Old 02-15-2017, 08:30 AM
Ecwid Team

New SEO friendly clean URLs (without '#' sign) are enabled on Ecwid Starter Sites

Hi Ecwid users,

This message is about adding SEO friendly clean URLs to Ecwid.

Short summary
  • We enabled SEO friendly URLs for the store pages on all new generation Starter sites, Wordpress and Wix sites in Ecwid. The URLs are cleaner and can be better indexed by Google. They are available for free to all Ecwid merchants.
  • To make sure all traffic is switched seamlessly to the new URLs, the old URLs continue working well. So, if someone opens a product/category in your store using an old URL, it will work.
  • The old generation Starter sites do not have the new clean SEO URLs. If you have an old Starter site and want to enable the new URLs, you can switch to the new Starter Site for free in your store settings (on the What's New page in your Control panel).
  • It's now possible to manually enable the new SEO friendly clean URLs on any site. A blog post with the details and instruction will follow.

Details

We at Ecwid are working on the set of SEO improvements now to make your stores indexed better in Google. The first step in this series of improvements is SEO friendly clean URLs.

Today, we enabled the new URL format for store pages on Ecwid Starter sites, Wordpress, Joomla and Wix sites. Reminder: Starter site is a standalone one-page website with Ecwid store onboard, which you can use as your store web presence, if you don't have your own web site.

What is good about the new URLs
  • The new URLs do not contain hash sign ("#"), which, according to Google, makes your store better indexed by Google.
  • The product and category pages URLs include product/category titles to make them easily readable both for Google and for your customers.
  • Other store pages URLs also became cleaner, e.g. cart and checkout pages are now easily accessible at /cart and /checkout.
  • The new URLs contain less extra characters like '/', '~' or'!', so the page address looks cleaner and is better for SEO.
  • As usually, no page refresh happens when the customer browses your store. The store pages with new URLs work without page reload, as it's been always worked in Ecwid. So, you have your fast loading store pages with new SEO friendly URLs.

Example of the store with the new URLs: https://surfparadise.ecwid.com/ (try browsing the catalog and notice there is no '#' sign in the URL anymore).

The old URLs continue working to make sure no customer get lost
We took care of backward compatibility. All the old URls (with '#') continue working — if some of your customers follow the old link from Google or elsewhere, they will get to the corresponding product/category page. Everything is automatically redirected, no changes needed from your side.

The new clean URLs are only enabled on the new generation Starter sites.
The new URLs are enabled on all new generation starter sites. If you don't see the new URLs on your starter site, then you are probably using the old generation starter site. To enable the new SEO URLs, please switch to the new version of Starter site in your Ecwid Control panel, it's free. To do that, open the "What's new" page in your Control Panel and enable the "New & Improved Starter Site: Build & Customize your Store" option. The new URLs will be automatically enabled once you switch to the new version of Starter site.

We will soon enable the new SEO URLs on the other CMS and sitebuilders we officially support, including Wix and WordPress
We will gradually enable the new URLs on all our official CMS/sitebuilder integrations. In particular, in a few days, we will start enabling clean URLs on Wix, WordPress and Muse sites. The rest will follow. Please name the CMS/sitebuilder/platform you're using in the comments below this post and we will provide more details.

It's possible to enable the new clean URLs on any site manually. Including custom-made web sites.
It's now possible to enable Clean URLs manually on any site you're running. This will require a few changes in the Ecwid integration code and server setup, so you will probably need a developer help if you decide to make that change yourself. Developer documentation is available here: https://developers.ecwid.com/api-doc...-friendly-urls

Questions?
If you find any trouble with the new URLs or have a question, please reply to this message.

UPDATED: We enabled clean URLs on Wordpress, Joomla and Wix sites. Please refer to our blog for the details: https://www.ecwid.com/blog/new-clean...-in-ecwid.html

Ecwid Guide for Beginners

Ecwid Help Center

Ecwid video tutorials

Last edited by Matt K; 05-04-2017 at 04:57 PM.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Matt Ecwid For This Useful Post:
Astrology University (03-02-2017), Elaine V (02-15-2017), Jeff Ory (03-30-2017), Kenga Ecwid (02-15-2017), Patricia Walsh1 (03-02-2017), Rick G (02-15-2017), smartMart (02-25-2017), Stacy_P (02-15-2017)
Old 02-22-2017, 10:39 PM

Details on enabling the new SEO URLs on Muse please.
Old 02-23-2017, 05:52 PM
Ecwid Team

Default Clean URLs for Muse

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2O View Post
Details on enabling the new SEO URLs on Muse please.
Hello,

Thank you for contacting us!

Of course! There you go:

Hope that helps, and feel free to reach out again!
Old 02-23-2017, 05:59 PM

Hi Charlie,
Thanks for your reply.

I have been trying to enable clean URLs with J-26's widget - but it hasn't worked for me - it's buggy.
I have contacted him and he is working on it.

I was hoping in the meantime there might be another way to enable the clean urls.

Thanks, Ann
Old 02-24-2017, 04:45 AM
Ecwid Team

Hi, Ann,

No worries!

Oh, ok. Sorry to hear that.

But it's good, if the developer's already working on it — it means it is considered a pretty high priority task.

We also have a general instruction unified for any website here. It features:

1. Altering your Ecwid integration code

2. Configure your server: add URL rewrite rules(for this one you might have to ask the hosting provider to do that, or hire a developer)

The detailed instruction on the steps can be found here:
https://developers.ecwid.com/api-doc...-friendly-urls

Hope, that helps!
Old 02-25-2017, 08:57 AM
Webpartner

The issue was coming from the code generator not being set up to work with stores on the home page. It's been updated and should fix any issues!
Old 02-25-2017, 02:28 PM

I have a support ticket open because they do not work on my wordpress site. I get a wordpress error whenever I refresh the page or paste a clean url into another tab. THe load initially but on refresh or re-paste the url gives an error.

I shut it off until support can fix it. It must be more something more advanced because its been with support for a few days now.
Old 02-26-2017, 01:34 AM

John,

I used the new code generator - the product pages look fine on re-load - but the checkout pages still error on reload.
Can you take another look?

Thanks, Ann

Last edited by H2O; 02-26-2017 at 01:36 AM.
Old 02-26-2017, 05:11 AM
Webpartner

Ann,

Sorry, there was a slight error in the generated code but now it's definitely working.
Old 02-26-2017, 03:56 PM

Thanks for the fix John.

I have I question...

I ran a test clean URL through an SEO analyzer (http://www.h2oonstone.store/Blue-Eye...ting-p54592285) - and it doesn't pick up any of the meta data information from the Ecwid Product - it only returns info based on the master page that the store sits on.

This leads me to believe that when I submit my sitemap of my store or hand submit these clean URLs to google that the only thing that gets indexed is the URL but not the SEO meta data that accompanies the product.

The information in this thread might be outdated
If the solution did not help, please, check our Help Portal or contact Ecwid Team.

Tags
clean urls, seo