The information in this thread might be outdated
If the solution did not help, please, check our Help Portal or contact Ecwid Team.

Old 03-27-2015, 08:10 AM

Recently Viewed Products Widget

I love the idea of the Recently Viewed Products widget that you just added! However, it doesn't seem to be working properly. The feature images show up in very poor quality and there is no option to control how large and in what style the products display.

On our page, since many of the feature images are in portrait orientation (taller than it is wide) many products are taking up way too much space in the sidebar and pushing everything so far down off screen that it's not really worth having there.

I also feel like if there was an option to add the Recently Viewed Products as a shortcode in the main content area of the page, it could be a lot more versatile. This would allow people to place them, for example, at the bottom of their store page where most online shops place things like this. Very similar to the "Related Products" suggestions we can currently add to the bottom of the page, which are quite similar to Amazon.com's setup. Maybe just having the option to turn the Recently Viewed Products feature on in the same way the Related Products works but having one above the other.

It's a great feature but could use a little tweaking. Awesome work and we're excited to see where you go with it!
Old 03-27-2015, 01:22 PM
Ecwid Team

Hi,

Thank you for your message. It's the very first version of the Recently Viewed Products in our Wordpress plugin, so there could be some glitches and your feedback is very much appreciated.

Quote:
I love the idea of the Recently Viewed Products widget that you just added! However, it doesn't seem to be working properly. The feature images show up in very poor quality and there is no option to control how large and in what style the products display.
We're investigating this issue. I will keep you updated.

Quote:
On our page, since many of the feature images are in portrait orientation (taller than it is wide) many products are taking up way too much space in the sidebar and pushing everything so far down off screen that it's not really worth having there.
We will try to test it with images from your store. Or, maybe, you still have the widget installed somewhere and we can take a look?

Quote:
I also feel like if there was an option to add the Recently Viewed Products as a shortcode in the main content area of the page, it could be a lot more versatile. This would allow people to place them, for example, at the bottom of their store page where most online shops place things like this. Very similar to the "Related Products" suggestions we can currently add to the bottom of the page, which are quite similar to Amazon.com's setup. Maybe just having the option to turn the Recently Viewed Products feature on in the same way the Related Products works but having one above the other.
This is a great idea and we will definitely implement this in one of the future versions.

Thanks.

Ecwid Guide for Beginners

Ecwid Help Center

Ecwid video tutorials
Old 03-27-2015, 02:10 PM

Hi Matt!

Glad I could help! It's definitely a fantastic idea to add this feature.

Quote:
We're investigating this issue. I will keep you updated.
Thanks!

Quote:
We will try to test it with images from your store. Or, maybe, you still have the widget installed somewhere and we can take a look?
I had to remove the widget as it was diminishing the look and feel of the page in its current form. I can maybe create a secret page just for testing purposes if you would really like to see it. Just let me know!

Quote:
This is a great idea and we will definitely implement this in one of the future versions.
Awesome! Yeah I feel like the Related Products feature functions and looks pretty damn good, so just adding something that looks and functions similarly (although maybe with a few styling and sizing options so that it doesn't look too similar which could cause people to overlook it) and is as easy to add/turn on for the current store should go over pretty well.
Old 03-29-2015, 06:27 PM

When I add it to my sidebar, the picture displays too large and drops my sidebar down to bottom of page, but if I zoom page in and out, for some reason, the picture displays as a thumbnail and sidebar works fine on desktop. How can I get the picture to display as a thumbnail only?
Large version screenshot

Thumbnail version screenshot

Sometimes on a refresh, it displays large and widens my sidebar
like this screenshot

Alternatively, the feature works great when placed in the footer. But only one recently viewed product looks good since they show up vertically. Is there a way to display products horizontally?

Last edited by Cozee; 03-29-2015 at 07:49 PM.
Old 03-31-2015, 10:33 AM
Ecwid Team

Hi CCG Models,

Quote:
The issue was caused by the fact that the widget didn't have enough time to "catch" the product image and thus, instead of the product image, the one from product list was copied to the sidebar. If you refreshed the page, you would notice that the second time, the widget shows a much better picture.

We released a quick fix (v 3.0.1) that should address that low quality issue. However, this could be dependent on the internet connection on your computer and sometimes the issue might appear again. So, please update your plugin, check how the widget works and let us know.

In the future versions, we will further work on this to completely fix the issue.

Quote:
I had to remove the widget as it was diminishing the look and feel of the page in its current form. I can maybe create a secret page just for testing purposes if you would really like to see it. Just let me know!
Yes, that would be great. Thank you!

Ecwid Help Center

Ecwid video tutorials
Old 03-31-2015, 10:36 AM
Ecwid Team

Hi Cozee

Thanks for the report.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cozee View Post
When I add it to my sidebar, the picture displays too large and drops my sidebar down to bottom of page, but if I zoom page in and out, for some reason, the picture displays as a thumbnail and sidebar works fine on desktop. How can I get the picture to display as a thumbnail only?
Large version screenshot

Thumbnail version screenshot

Sometimes on a refresh, it displays large and widens my sidebar
like this screenshot
Thanks for the detailed description. We will try to install the theme you used on our test site and check how it works to investigate the problem.

Meanwhile, we can probably work around it by setting fixed width of the recently viewed products widget. If you could enable the widget for some time to let us check , we would provide you with a workaround. Or you can create a hidden page and let us have a look. Thanks.

Quote:

Alternatively, the feature works great when placed in the footer. But only one recently viewed product looks good since they show up vertically. Is there a way to display products horizontally?
Yes, this makes sense. We plan to add this in the future versions.

Ecwid Help Center

Ecwid video tutorials
Old 03-31-2015, 01:54 PM

A fixed width sounds great!
I have added the widget to my site
Old 04-01-2015, 11:18 AM
Ecwid Team

Quote:
A fixed width sounds great!
I have added the widget to my site
Please try to add this code to your site theme:
Code:
.ecwid-productsList-image img {
  max-width: 200px;
}
You can add it to the styles.css file of your theme in your Wordpress admin backend (Appearance > Editor > style.css).

Please let me know if that doesn't help.

Thanks

Ecwid Help Center

Ecwid video tutorials
Old 04-01-2015, 01:58 PM

Default Worked great!

Thanks Matt, I added the code and widget is working great for my site.
Is there a way to limit how many products show? I have the "Number of products to show" set to 1, but as I view different products they continue to add to the list.
Thanks Again
Old 04-02-2015, 01:06 PM
Ecwid Team

Quote:
Thanks Matt, I added the code and widget is working great for my site.
Thanks for the update! Glad it worked.

Quote:
Is there a way to limit how many products show? I have the "Number of products to show" set to 1, but as I view different products they continue to add to the list.
Hmm, we don't replicate it in our test store.

Can you please try to check it again? It could be a cache issue. Please clear the cache and try again. Thanks.

Ecwid Help Center

Ecwid video tutorials

The information in this thread might be outdated
If the solution did not help, please, check our Help Portal or contact Ecwid Team.

Tags
recently viewed products, related products, widgets