The information in this thread might be outdated
If the solution did not help, please, check our Help Portal or contact Ecwid Team.
 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-20-2012, 06:44 PM
Better Way Health's Avatar
Better Way Health is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 2
Default

Sales Tax Amount Disappearing


I have sales tax correctly set in Ecwid. The purchase looks great, until I get to the final order page, then it's gone.

It's just PayPal that this happens with... take a look:

Tax is there:


Tax Still showing:


Still looking good:


Poof! Gone:


Any ideas?
  #2  
Old 01-23-2012, 10:42 AM
Eugene Rimmer's Avatar
Eugene Rimmer Eugene Rimmer is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Ecwid headquarters
Posts: 7,765
Default

Your tax is set up to only have an effective rate of 6% for billing addresses based in Georgia. Judging from the last screenshot, you were proceeding to the PayPal Express Checkout instead of the usual Ecwid's checkout.

PayPal Express Checkout and Google Checkout both have a common feature about them - those are not just the payment methods, they help to collect the essential customer's credentials (like billing and shipping address) on the recognized secure sites of either of those two providers instead of doing that on your site. This has many advantages for customers: the owners of existing PayPal or Google Wallet accounts may just choose their pre-input addresses and funding options, which lets them checkout faster, and all the customers enjoy the guaranteed security of those sites, where they can confidently disclose their sensitive information (addresses and payment credentials) and rest assured that this information is processed properly and securely (whereas putting the same information on the other sites may not sometimes give a comparable confidence for those who buy for the first time there).

When a customer selects one of those 2 checkout methods, Ecwid does not know the real customer's address yet - it will be known after the customer inputs or selects it on the PayPal/Google. Everything Ecwid will transmit to PayPal / Google is already listed on the cart page:
- the order details (product costs and amounts) that are known for sure,
- the shipping costs and taxes that are estimated for customer (since the addresses are not known for sure yet)

But since the addresses are actually put after the buyer has went to PayPal, the actual billing address may change. So, when a buyer returns from PayPal Express Checkout or Google Checkout back to your shop, the shipping costs and taxes will be recalculated according to the addresses that customer has put on the secure payment site.

So this is what happened in your example: the tax was initially estimated for the Georgia based address (most probably, based on your physical location), then while on PayPal Express Checkout steps the buyer has put the billing address outside Georgia, so your tax is not applicable for such customer, and hence no tax is displayed on the further checkout steps in Ecwid. The customer will, of course, be charged for the costs that s/he confirms on the last page of checkout in Ecwid, so all costs are transparent for the customer and there is no 'behind the scenes' costs changes.
  #3  
Old 11-01-2012, 10:14 PM
Jay Spears's Avatar
Jay Spears Jay Spears is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 5
Default

I have the same issue. I need to collect sales tax for Texas and California and neither one of them is working. My store is setup exactly like this example. I have Google Wallet, PayPal or the Ecwid Checkout (which is processed by PayPal Express Checkout). I don't quite understand what the solution is. Are you saying we shouldn't use PayPal Express Checkout as the processor for the Ecwid Checkout option?

Thanks
  #4  
Old 11-02-2012, 11:58 AM
Matt Ecwid's Avatar
Matt Ecwid Matt Ecwid is offline
Ecwid Team
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 4,947
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Spears View Post
I have the same issue. I need to collect sales tax for Texas and California and neither one of them is working. My store is setup exactly like this example. I have Google Wallet, PayPal or the Ecwid Checkout (which is processed by PayPal Express Checkout). I don't quite understand what the solution is. Are you saying we shouldn't use PayPal Express Checkout as the processor for the Ecwid Checkout option?

Thanks
Hello,

I've inspected your store. The issue you discovered is caused by the fact that your tax is calculated basing on a customer billing address, but due to PayPal Express checkout limitations, billing address isn't sent to Ecwid.

The PayPal Express Checkout does not return the customer's billing address at all (that is its internal limitation). Thus, Ecwid doesn't know billing address of a customer who pays with Express checkout. As a result, if you select 'billing address' in the 'Zone defines by' option in tax settings, tax won't be applied.

Unfortunately, we cannot change the way how the PayPal Express Checkout sends the information back to your Ecwid shop. However, you can way around this problem by setting your tax so that it will be calculated basing on customer shipping address - shipping address is always returned to Ecwid from PayPal Express checkout unless you sell intangible products which do not require shipping. You can do it on the tax management page in your control panel: http://i.imgur.com/xTflE.png
__________________
Matt K
Ecwid Team

Ecwid Guide for Beginners

Ecwid Help Center

Ecwid video tutorials
The Following User Says Thank You to Matt Ecwid For This Useful Post:
Jay Spears (11-02-2012)
  #5  
Old 01-14-2013, 07:07 PM
Goodpet:881429@deleted's Avatar
Goodpet:881429@deleted Goodpet:881429@deleted is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 1
Default Paypal express loses sales tax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makfruit View Post
Hello,

I've inspected your store. The issue you discovered is caused by the fact that your tax is calculated basing on a customer billing address, but due to PayPal Express checkout limitations, billing address isn't sent to Ecwid.

The PayPal Express Checkout does not return the customer's billing address at all (that is its internal limitation). Thus, Ecwid doesn't know billing address of a customer who pays with Express checkout. As a result, if you select 'billing address' in the 'Zone defines by' option in tax settings, tax won't be applied.

Unfortunately, we cannot change the way how the PayPal Express Checkout sends the information back to your Ecwid shop. However, you can way around this problem by setting your tax so that it will be calculated basing on customer shipping address - shipping address is always returned to Ecwid from PayPal Express checkout unless you sell intangible products which do not require shipping. You can do it on the tax management page in your control panel: http://i.imgur.com/xTflE.png
http://www.goodpet.com
We are having the same issue- switched to shipping address and still won't charge the sales tax (for California, in our case) - is there any other solution to this issue? If not, we won't have a choice but to discontinue the PAYPAL express option until they come up with something.
  #6  
Old 01-15-2013, 02:27 PM
NanoTouch Materials's Avatar
NanoTouch Materials NanoTouch Materials is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 2
Default

I have the same problem. Tax zone determined by shipping address but sales tax disappears if I use PayPal Express. Works fine with regular Paypal.
  #7  
Old 01-15-2013, 06:28 PM
Matt Ecwid's Avatar
Matt Ecwid Matt Ecwid is offline
Ecwid Team
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 4,947
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodpet View Post
http://www.goodpet.com
We are having the same issue- switched to shipping address and still won't charge the sales tax (for California, in our case) - is there any other solution to this issue? If not, we won't have a choice but to discontinue the PAYPAL express option until they come up with something.
Hello,

I've inspected your store. As far as I can see, the tax you referred to (CA tax) is setup to be calculated basing on billing address. Please set it to shipping address as I recommended in this thread.

By the way, as far as I can see, you also created the 'USA tax' with empty rates. Probably, it confused you. You can delete that tax record since it doesn't have any effect.
__________________
Matt K
Ecwid Team

Ecwid Guide for Beginners

Ecwid Help Center

Ecwid video tutorials
  #8  
Old 01-16-2013, 11:47 AM
Matt Ecwid's Avatar
Matt Ecwid Matt Ecwid is offline
Ecwid Team
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 4,947
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NanoTouch Materials View Post
I have the same problem. Tax zone determined by shipping address but sales tax disappears if I use PayPal Express. Works fine with regular Paypal.
Hello,

I'll further look into the issue in your store and get back to you.


UPDATE:
I've inspected your store. In particular, I've examined the details of order that was paid via PayPal Express Checkout. As far as I can see, the order details contain neither shipping nor billing address. Why it happened:
1. There is no billing address for that order in Ecwid backend, because Express Checkout doesn't return customer billing details, when this payment method is used. (This information should be available in the PayPal backend though)
2. There is no shipping address, because none of your products requires shipping, so Ecwid treats them as intangible ones and doesn't expect shipping address for an order. Here is the details:
http://kb.ecwid.com/w/page/15853310/...adableproducts

As a result, the placed order doesn't have any address attached, hence no destinations zones, hence no tax rates. In order to fix that, I'd recommend enabling shipping for your products (as far as I understand, you products do require shipping, right?). This way Ecwid will save shipping address for orders placed via PayPal Express, thus tax rates will be properly calculated. If you want to offer free shipping for your products, you can simply create a 'free' shipping method in your store:
http://kb.ecwid.com/w/page/15853310/...g#Freeshipping

Please let us know if you have any question.
__________________
Matt K
Ecwid Team

Ecwid Guide for Beginners

Ecwid Help Center

Ecwid video tutorials
  #9  
Old 01-16-2013, 02:12 PM
NanoTouch Materials's Avatar
NanoTouch Materials NanoTouch Materials is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 2
Default

Ah, that must be it. I already had the free shipping method but I didn't see where I needed to check that products required shipping. I'll test Paypal Express again to verify it works.
 
The information in this thread might be outdated
If the solution did not help, please, check our Help Portal or contact Ecwid Team.

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 09:13 AM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11. Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.