The information in this thread might be outdated
If the solution did not help, please, check our Help Portal or contact Ecwid Team.

Old 09-02-2013, 12:13 AM

INVENTORY

HI! Is it possible for ecwid to automatically note on the site that the product is out of stock as soon as inventory hits 0? I have been having a number of orders of the same item because the site does not specify that the product is out of stock even if the quantity is 0. Hope you can help me resolve this. Many thanks!
Old 09-02-2013, 06:47 PM
Ecwid Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLA-Studio View Post
HI! Is it possible for ecwid to automatically note on the site that the product is out of stock as soon as inventory hits 0? I have been having a number of orders of the same item because the site does not specify that the product is out of stock even if the quantity is 0. Hope you can help me resolve this. Many thanks!
Hi,

Ecwid tracks products inventory in real time: once an item is sold, the product's number in stock is decreased automatically.
Customers are not allowed to buy more items than available in the stock: there'll be a warning "Entered more items than available. Reenter it please."
And when a product is sold out, it's marked as out of stock and "Add to bag" button is not displayed at all. Additionally you can hide out of stock products from the store front by enabling option "Hide out of stock products": System Settings -> General ->Cart.
Thus it's practically not possible that customer buys out of stock products.

Also Ecwid can help you to keep an eye on the inventory level and update it on time:
1.You can track it down on the product page in Ecwid control panel, Catalog -> Products.
You may want to keep the stock 'Unlimited'.

2. Ecwid can notify you that this very item is about to be sold out: there's a special email notification for that in Ecwid control panel, System Settings -> Mail -> Admin notifications, "Stock notification". It is enabled by default.
And you can define yourself when your store should warn you: when there're only 1 item left, or 2 or 10, any number. You can set it up in Catalog -> Products -> product page, section 'Stock control', field "Send me a note when quantity in stock reaches".

Ecwid, however, updates the product inventory only when the order is completed (i.e. it's clear that the customer has bought the item).
When customer adds items to the bag and doesn't go to checkout or doesn't complete the order these items are still in stock.
It works this way on purpose:
If the inventory was updated every time someone adds products to the cart, there would be a high risk that the products would always be out of stock since there's a per cent of abandoned shopping bags (i.e. unfinished orders).

At that there might be an overselling: when several customers are buying the same product (limited in stock) simultaneously. They add items, go to checkout and pay at the same time.

To understand what happened in your case, I need to examine the orders in question. Please, let me know their ids.

More tips and hints on Ecwid use in our Help Center

⬇ Please click Thanks if my reply helped you.

Thank Ecwid team on Twitter

The information in this thread might be outdated
If the solution did not help, please, check our Help Portal or contact Ecwid Team.