The information in this thread might be outdated
If the solution did not help, please, check our Help Portal or contact Ecwid Team.

Old 08-28-2012, 07:09 AM

Exclamation

Create discount that makes item(s) AND shipping cost free

NEED THIS TO HAPPEN:

I need to be able to provide my customer with a coupon that will make their order free (order total and shipping included). The coupon will be a one time use coupon and will apply in special circumstances.

TRIED ALL OF THESE SOLUTIONS/ WORKAROUNDS WITHOUT SUCCESS:

I created a 100% off coupon and it shows as a discount on the shopping cart summary page. However, the shipping is still calculated. In this case free really is supposed to mean free and shipping shouldn't be applied.

I tried creating two separate discount coupons but I don't see a way to apply multiple discounts. I am only allowed to apply free shipping or free item total but not both.

I enabled option "Skip payment method selection, if order total is zero". That doesn't help here because discount isn't applied to the subtotal at all. It is only applied to total. Because of that the shipping is automatically added based on the subtotal, hence total isn't equal zero, so skip payment selection doesn't kick in. I have tested a situation by offering an item that has price of zero. In that case "Skip payment method selection, if order total is zero" function work. But I can't have free items available to anyone who visits the store, only to ones with the coupon so this workaround is no good.

I tried making a custom shipping to apply to orders below a $1. But guess what... Shipping is again calculated based on a subtotal. Since discount isn't applied at the subtotal level, this doesn't work.

Any suggestion as to how to proceed would be appreciated. My list to give to the customer of all of the things that can't be done is getting longer and longer.
Old 08-28-2012, 08:32 AM

Any way I could move this post to "storefront management" forum? I probably should have posted it there. Sorry about that.
Old 08-28-2012, 10:33 AM
Ecwid Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reliant View Post
Any way I could move this post to "storefront management" forum? I probably should have posted it there. Sorry about that.
That's ok. I have moved it =)

------------------
Welcome to our new Help Center!
Old 08-29-2012, 01:49 PM
Ecwid Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reliant View Post
NEED THIS TO HAPPEN:

I need to be able to provide my customer with a coupon that will make their order free (order total and shipping included). The coupon will be a one time use coupon and will apply in special circumstances.

TRIED ALL OF THESE SOLUTIONS/ WORKAROUNDS WITHOUT SUCCESS:

I created a 100% off coupon and it shows as a discount on the shopping cart summary page. However, the shipping is still calculated. In this case free really is supposed to mean free and shipping shouldn't be applied.

I tried creating two separate discount coupons but I don't see a way to apply multiple discounts. I am only allowed to apply free shipping or free item total but not both.

I enabled option "Skip payment method selection, if order total is zero". That doesn't help here because discount isn't applied to the subtotal at all. It is only applied to total. Because of that the shipping is automatically added based on the subtotal, hence total isn't equal zero, so skip payment selection doesn't kick in. I have tested a situation by offering an item that has price of zero. In that case "Skip payment method selection, if order total is zero" function work. But I can't have free items available to anyone who visits the store, only to ones with the coupon so this workaround is no good.

I tried making a custom shipping to apply to orders below a $1. But guess what... Shipping is again calculated based on a subtotal. Since discount isn't applied at the subtotal level, this doesn't work.

Any suggestion as to how to proceed would be appreciated. My list to give to the customer of all of the things that can't be done is getting longer and longer.
Hello,

Sorry for that. It currently works this way - discount coupons apply to subtotal (sum of items prices for all items in this order), a discount doesn't apply to shipping cost. The total discount cannot be more than a subtotal.

Please refer to this post for the details on the matter:
http://www.ecwid.com/forums/showthre...6614#post46614

Ecwid Guide for Beginners

Ecwid Help Center

Ecwid video tutorials
Old 08-30-2012, 05:21 AM

I read the link to the post you have included. That does indeed sound like the same problem I am having. It is a shame that multiple discounts can't be applied. I was trying to think through this to at least come up with a clever workaround. If I can't get it figured out my customer will likely need to move to a different storefront. That really puts me in a bind because I was the one that recommended Ecwid above others. Any other suggestions as to how to handle this would be terrific. Thanks.
Old 09-14-2012, 04:58 PM

I am having the exact same issue as Reliant (both free shipping and item, AND I recommended this cart). Any solutions?
Old 09-17-2012, 08:34 AM
Ecwid Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill L View Post
I am having the exact same issue as Reliant (both free shipping and item, AND I recommended this cart). Any solutions?
Hello,

Ecwid currently allows setting coupons to be applied either to the subtotal or to the shipping cost. It is currently not possible to create a coupon that applies to the both, unfortunately. I believe, this suggestion in our ideas base fits your requirements though:
http://ideas.ecwid.com/forums/22031-...iple-values-i-

Please vote for it in order to have it implemented sooner.

In the meantime, you can consider using global discounts (the recently added Ecwid feature) as a workaround. Although they also apply to the subtotal only, you can take an advantage of them: you can use both the coupons and global discounts. For example, you can create a free shipping coupon AND a global discount for the orders greater than some value, so that a customer can take a discount on the subtotal AND shipping cost. You can setup a global discount in your control panel under the 'Promotions' tab. Maybe, this helps.

Ecwid Guide for Beginners

Ecwid Help Center

Ecwid video tutorials
The Following User Says Thank You to Matt Ecwid For This Useful Post:
simplistamped (10-10-2012)
Old 09-17-2012, 03:16 PM

True. But that doesn't even come close to being able to sometimes offer a free item, including shipping. It is not really a workaround, plus, the point is not to provide a discount for everything in the store (global discount would do just that) or to have a free item in the store - the point is to sometimes provide certain customers (not all) a coupon to get a completely free item, shipping included.
The Following User Says Thank You to Reliant For This Useful Post:
flaminghope (10-14-2014)
Old 11-27-2012, 07:06 PM

I agree, I actually need to create a coupon with 2 variables--a % discount AND free shipping--and I'm only going to send it to a select subset of my customers...I don't want first time buyers to get the same deal.
I definitely vote for making the coupon more flexible--this is a common thing to want from a coupon!
Old 11-30-2012, 05:23 AM

yes i vote for this as well. need it so badly!

The information in this thread might be outdated
If the solution did not help, please, check our Help Portal or contact Ecwid Team.

Tags
discount coupon, free shipping