The information in this thread might be outdated
If the solution did not help, please, check our Help Portal or contact Ecwid Team.
Closed Thread

Old 07-31-2012, 04:44 PM
Ecwid Team

Important: Ecwid URLs changes

Hi,

We are going to update Ecwid URLs in the next versions. The "ecwid:" part will be removed and replaced with "!". E.g. this URL:

HTML Code:
http://www.ecwid.com/demo-frontend.html#ecwid:category=3003&mode=product&product=5002 
will change to something like this:

HTML Code:
http://www.ecwid.com/demo-frontend.html#!/~/product/category=3003&id=5002
1. When will this change be implemented?
In one of the next major versions.

2. Will the old URLs still work?
Yes. All existing links to your store will work just fine.

3. Do I need to change anything?
In most cases you don't need to change anything - the transition will be smooth. Even if you used an old URL notation to create custom menus or links to your store, the links will work just fine.

However if you use a custom JavaScript code to track and parse the changes of Ecwid hashes (the URL part after "#"), your code will require adaption to the new format. We recommend to switch to our Javascript API in this case, it is more universal and powerful: http://kb.ecwid.com/w/page/41188517/JavaScript%20API

4. Why the changes?
Two reasons:
- some partners who use our white-label version don't want to have "ecwid" in URLs.
- We will be able to significantly improve the indexation of Ecwid stores by using this Google API: https://developers.google.com/webmasters/ajax-crawling/

@ecwid | Facebook | Ecwid Knowledge Base

Last edited by Qetzal; 08-25-2012 at 12:36 PM.
Old 09-12-2014, 01:43 PM

Hi,

I noticed several days ago that the URLs have been changed again without anyone telling me about this change. Why is there no information given on this recent change? I can't find any news or updates in regard to this on the Blog nor in the forums. Please elaborate the reasons behind this change, like you did for the previous change.

The old url /#!/~/product/category=3003&id=5002 has now been switched to /#!/product-title/p/5002/category=3003. In terms of SEO, there can be a valid reason to add the product title in the URL. Though for someone who publishes Ecwid products as separate blog posts on a website, this new product url duplicates existing page titles and permalinks, which obviously is something you want to avoid in regard to SEO.

Thank you in advance for your response.
Old 09-18-2014, 09:11 AM
Ecwid Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indo Amulets View Post
Hi,

I noticed several days ago that the URLs have been changed again without anyone telling me about this change. Why is there no information given on this recent change? I can't find any news or updates in regard to this on the Blog nor in the forums. Please elaborate the reasons behind this change, like you did for the previous change.

The old url /#!/~/product/category=3003&id=5002 has now been switched to /#!/product-title/p/5002/category=3003. In terms of SEO, there can be a valid reason to add the product title in the URL. Though for someone who publishes Ecwid products as separate blog posts on a website, this new product url duplicates existing page titles and permalinks, which obviously is something you want to avoid in regard to SEO.

Thank you in advance for your response.
Hello,

we are really sorry for the fact that we haven’t made an announcement on new URLs yet and for the inconveniences this unawareness might have caused. We will make an official update soon.

New URLs were implemented in order to make Ecwid stores more SEO-friendly. Product titles and category names in new URLs are regarded as keywords rather than duplications by search engines, thus the URLs become meaningful and content - easier to find.

When Ecwid is being upgraded, we are always concerned about backward compatibility, which means that the new features won’t prevent the old ones from functioning correctly. In your case, the old URLs posted in your blogs are working properly and continue to redirect your customers to the right products in your store.

I’ve tested your site to make sure it is really so. For instance, I viewed this post http://www.indoamulets.com/indo-mala...sman-necklace/ and clicked on ‘View this product in store’, which redirected me to the corresponding item in your shop, using the old URL. See the screenshot attached. And if you open the store by a direct link from your site menu, you can see that the new URL are implemented to products.

If you have other concerns about new URLs, don’t hesitate to ask! We appreciate your choice of Ecwid!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-09-18 11-49-35 2014-09-18 11-50-56.jpg
Views:	1369
Size:	359.1 KB
ID:	2683  

Help Center

⬇ Please click Thanks if my reply helped you.
The Following User Says Thank You to ginger For This Useful Post:
Jess5 (02-10-2015)
Old 09-19-2014, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger View Post
Hello,

we are really sorry for the fact that we haven’t made an announcement on new URLs yet and for the inconveniences this unawareness might have caused. We will make an official update soon.

New URLs were implemented in order to make Ecwid stores more SEO-friendly. Product titles and category names in new URLs are regarded as keywords rather than duplications by search engines, thus the URLs become meaningful and content - easier to find.

When Ecwid is being upgraded, we are always concerned about backward compatibility, which means that the new features won’t prevent the old ones from functioning correctly. In your case, the old URLs posted in your blogs are working properly and continue to redirect your customers to the right products in your store.

I’ve tested your site to make sure it is really so. For instance, I viewed this post http://www.indoamulets.com/indo-mala...sman-necklace/ and clicked on ‘View this product in store’, which redirected me to the corresponding item in your shop, using the old URL. See the screenshot attached. And if you open the store by a direct link from your site menu, you can see that the new URL are implemented to products.

If you have other concerns about new URLs, don’t hesitate to ask! We appreciate your choice of Ecwid!
Thank you for your reply.

I was indeed aware of the fact that the old urls are still working; I'm happy about that. Although I can see the benefits of the new urls, it is not very convenient when you have a long product title, as this results in a long url as well. Moreover, words like 'a'/'the'/'of'/etc. are not very useful keywords, which is why I shorten the url of the product I want to publish as a blog post on my website. For example, /indo-malay-talisman-necklace, instead of /indo-malay-talisman-necklace-containing-occult-scroll-inscribed-with-sacred-lettering. Try posting a product with such a long url to Twitter, for example.

I liked the old urls much better, simply because they were very short and clear. Both the product and category id were easy to find in the old url. However, the new permalink structure adds the product title to the url, though this new url also still has the product id in it. Since Ecwid's search widget is all but accurate when you search by product titles (as opposed to searching by SKU number), it doesn't really improve the search results when using important keywords. For instance, when I enter a keyword like 'grimoire', the product which shows up first does not contain this keyword at all, but rather only the second search result shows a product which has the word 'grimoire' in the title.

So, I seriously doubt whether these new urls can actually improve my site (and store)'s SEO performance when the product urls become as long as the product titles themselves, and whilst the search results are still lacking accuracy in regard to the keywords.

Thus, I look forward to reading the official announcement about this change with a decent explanation any time soon.

Thank you in advance.
Old 09-25-2014, 02:48 PM
Ecwid Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indo Amulets View Post
Thank you for your reply.

I was indeed aware of the fact that the old urls are still working; I'm happy about that. Although I can see the benefits of the new urls, it is not very convenient when you have a long product title, as this results in a long url as well. Moreover, words like 'a'/'the'/'of'/etc. are not very useful keywords, which is why I shorten the url of the product I want to publish as a blog post on my website. For example, /indo-malay-talisman-necklace, instead of /indo-malay-talisman-necklace-containing-occult-scroll-inscribed-with-sacred-lettering. Try posting a product with such a long url to Twitter, for example.

I liked the old urls much better, simply because they were very short and clear. Both the product and category id were easy to find in the old url. However, the new permalink structure adds the product title to the url, though this new url also still has the product id in it. Since Ecwid's search widget is all but accurate when you search by product titles (as opposed to searching by SKU number), it doesn't really improve the search results when using important keywords. For instance, when I enter a keyword like 'grimoire', the product which shows up first does not contain this keyword at all, but rather only the second search result shows a product which has the word 'grimoire' in the title.

So, I seriously doubt whether these new urls can actually improve my site (and store)'s SEO performance when the product urls become as long as the product titles themselves, and whilst the search results are still lacking accuracy in regard to the keywords.

Thus, I look forward to reading the official announcement about this change with a decent explanation any time soon.

Thank you in advance.
Hello,

thank you for your kindly understanding, it should not be for too long that the official release on URL change will be published.

I assume, that you’re concerned about the fact that it’s not very convenient to make tweets containing long URLs. As far as I know, Twitter has a built-in URL shortener service and it alters the links, regardless of their length, to 22 characters: https://support.twitter.com/articles...nks-in-a-tweet. By the way, it’s also possible to share links to your products directly from Ecwid Control Panel to Twitter or Facebook. Share buttons are located on product editor pages.

As for search improvements, I should have made myself more clear. SEO-friendly URLs are important for better indexation of your store by 3rd-party search engines, like Google or Bing. It’s not about search feature within your Ecwid storefront. I’ve tested the search panel on your Starter Site, as you’ve said that it lacks accuracy in searching by keywords. The search results can be seen on screenshot attached. The first item contains the key word ‘grimoire’ in its title and in description, the second one - in the description only. The same results are shown for the search, implemented on your site. Thus, it can be seen, that in your case the search works quite accurately.

I hope, that the upcoming release on new URLs will contain a decent explanation, that you’re looking for, and will help you understand the necessity of this improvement.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Indo Amulets 2014-09-25 10-14-08 2014-09-25 10-14-44.jpg
Views:	317
Size:	421.8 KB
ID:	2711  

Help Center

Old 08-15-2015, 09:41 PM

Default Punctuation marks cause invalid url

Hello,

I recently ran into another problem in regard to the new permalink structure, namely that when I copy/paste the product url to share it via social media, some characters or symbols aren’t picked up properly, resulting in an invalid url.

For example, I often use diacritics in my product titles, as well as the em dash–perhaps the most versatile punctuation mark. But unfortunately those links cannot be shared via social media because it is not recognized as being part of the url.

In addition, the first image in the product description is not displayed correctly on pages that contain the new url, whereas the first image is correctly aligned on pages with the old url.

I center-align all images in the product description, yet on pages with the new url the first image is left-aligned, whereas the first image on pages with the old url is center-aligned. Please refer to the following pages:

1. http://www.indomagic.com/store/#!/Sa...tegory=3025028

2. http://www.indomagic.com/store/#!/~/...66&id=53032092

Please kindly look into this matter.

Thank you.

Last edited by Indo Magic; 08-15-2015 at 09:47 PM.
Old 08-21-2015, 11:46 AM
Ecwid Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indo Magic View Post
Please kindly look into this matter.
Hello,

Thanks for reaching us out! I'm sorry to learn that you've faced these issues. I'll be happy to help.

1. I've tried to reproduce the issue with invalid URLs by sharing a product with diacritics via Facebook and Twitter, and in both cases I wasn't able to do so — the link was successfully shared and worked just fine.

Are you having issues with a particular social network? If yes, please provide me with more details on this, so I'll be able to test out a sharing process.

Also, may I ask why you simply copy and paste direct links instead of using built-in share buttons that can be found in the Ecwid Control Panel → Settings → Social Tools?

2. As for the issue with incorrectly aligned description images, I was trying to reproduce it in different browsers (Chrome, Firefox, Safari, Opera) and it looks like it can be reproduced in Chrome only. It doesn't matter if I was using the old URL format or the new one. Please see screenshots below:

— new URL: http://take.ms/e2rIq
— old URL: http://take.ms/VGofP

in other browsers the page looks as it should.

Moreover, if I try to make changes in the CSS using the Chrome Developer Tools, even adding a couple of empty lines fixes the issue and the image gets center-aligned. I'll continue investigating this, but at the moment it looks like it's a Chrome issue.

As a temporary fix, you may try to add the below CSS code to your custom CSS theme in the Ecwid Control Panel → Settings → Design → Custom CSS Themes:

Code:
.ecwid-productBrowser-details-descr p:nth-child(2) span img {
    margin-left: auto !important;
    margin-right: auto !important;
}
Please, try it out and let me know if this worked for you or not.

Thanks.

More tips and hints on Ecwid use in our Help Center

The Following User Says Thank You to Cyril D For This Useful Post:
rebecca lea (08-27-2015)
Old 08-26-2015, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyril D View Post
1. I've tried to reproduce the issue with invalid URLs by sharing a product with diacritics via Facebook and Twitter, and in both cases I wasn't able to do so — the link was successfully shared and worked just fine.
I see, diacritics don't seem to be the problem, but rather the em dash (–) is what breaks the url. Feel free to try and share the following link to Facebook: http://www.indomagic.com/store/#!/Sa...tegory=9834041.

Quote:
Are you having issues with a particular social network? If yes, please provide me with more details on this, so I'll be able to test out a sharing process.
The problem occurs when trying to share a product link (which includes an em dash in the title) to Facebook and Google Plus.

Quote:
Also, may I ask why you simply copy and paste direct links instead of using built-in share buttons that can be found in the Ecwid Control Panel → Settings → Social Tools?
I do use the built-in share buttons, though when I later also add a product image on Facebook I would also like to add a direct link to the product. Sometimes the default category of this product is linked to another website that I manage from within one and the same Ecwid account. So, in that case I don't want to use the built-in share buttons because that would lead the visitor to the wrong website.

Quote:
2. As for the issue with incorrectly aligned description images, I was trying to reproduce it in different browsers (Chrome, Firefox, Safari, Opera) and it looks like it can be reproduced in Chrome only. It doesn't matter if I was using the old URL format or the new one. in other browsers the page looks as it should.

Moreover, if I try to make changes in the CSS using the Chrome Developer Tools, even adding a couple of empty lines fixes the issue and the image gets center-aligned. I'll continue investigating this, but at the moment it looks like it's a Chrome issue.

As a temporary fix, you may try to add the below CSS code to your custom CSS theme in the Ecwid Control Panel → Settings → Design → Custom CSS Themes:

Code:
.ecwid-productBrowser-details-descr p:nth-child(2) span img {
    margin-left: auto !important;
    margin-right: auto !important;
}
Yes, the alignment issue indeed seems to occur only in Chrome. I will add the additional CSS code to my custom CSS theme in the hope that this solves the issue.

Thank you for your kind assistance.
The Following User Says Thank You to Indo Magic For This Useful Post:
rebecca lea (08-27-2015)
Old 08-28-2015, 12:49 PM
Ecwid Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indo Magic View Post
The problem occurs when trying to share a product link (which includes an em dash in the title) to Facebook and Google Plus.
Hi,

Thanks for the details!

I've tried to share some products with em and en dashes in their URLs (and names), and I was able to reproduce the issue you're referring to. I've investigated this a bit further and found out that when Facebook or Google+ parses such URLs, or, in other words, tries to understand if this a valid link or not, for some reason, their parsers cut off part of the link that begins from em or en dash. In turn, if you share such products using built-in share buttons, these links are working just fine.

Also, I've checked this with some other sites and messengers and found out that they manage links with dashes differently. Some of them understand en and em dashes, and some of them not. So, it basically means that links with dashes are correct and it depends on how a particular service processes them.

I understand that it's important to be able sharing such products by simple copying and pasting a link to some Facebook or Google+ post without using built-in sharing functionality, so, in this case, I can suggest you remove that en or em dash from a link before sharing. So your products will still have these symbols in their names and you'll be sure that all the links will work fine.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

More tips and hints on Ecwid use in our Help Center

Closed Thread
The information in this thread might be outdated
If the solution did not help, please, check our Help Portal or contact Ecwid Team.