The information in this thread might be outdated
If the solution did not help, please, check our Help Portal or contact Ecwid Team.

Old 01-30-2012, 12:03 AM

Editing the out of stock title to include links

Hey,

I've been playing around with configuring ecwid to really work well with our website, but I've encounted a roadblock that I can't seem to figure out.

On our ecwid store we have items that aren't carried in our physical location, but can be special ordered from our distributors, some of the items are unavailable anywhere else online.

We don't want to process the orders as per usual as if they were in-stock, or have the items listed as in-stock.

Currently, for example if you look at this page:
http://vinylalibi.ca/#ecwid:category...roduct=8961060

You can see it says "Currently out of stock. Please email to reserve next available copy."

What I hope to accomplish is one of two possibilities, have the text say, "Currently out of stock. Please click here to reserve next available copy." and it link to a form on a separate page where users can fill out the information for a special order.

or

Say "Currently out of stock. Please click here to reserve next available copy." and have a link included in the text that brings a small popup window, similar to the login screen that offers the same form.

A bonus would be if the customer could use the same login information already available through the store, but this isn't essential.
Old 01-31-2012, 02:00 PM
Ecwid Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinyl Alibi View Post
Hey,

I've been playing around with configuring ecwid to really work well with our website, but I've encounted a roadblock that I can't seem to figure out.

On our ecwid store we have items that aren't carried in our physical location, but can be special ordered from our distributors, some of the items are unavailable anywhere else online.

We don't want to process the orders as per usual as if they were in-stock, or have the items listed as in-stock.

Currently, for example if you look at this page:
http://vinylalibi.ca/#ecwid:category...roduct=8961060

You can see it says "Currently out of stock. Please email to reserve next available copy."

What I hope to accomplish is one of two possibilities, have the text say, "Currently out of stock. Please click here to reserve next available copy." and it link to a form on a separate page where users can fill out the information for a special order.

or

Say "Currently out of stock. Please click here to reserve next available copy." and have a link included in the text that brings a small popup window, similar to the login screen that offers the same form.

A bonus would be if the customer could use the same login information already available through the store, but this isn't essential.
Hello,

It is possible in Ecwid to change any text label in the storefront for making it more suitable for your individual Ecwid setup. The good thing is you can use not only plain text for the labels - HTML code is allowed too. So, in your case, you can easily add a link into your 'Out of stock' label. It will look like this:
Code:
<script>
ecwidMessages = {
  "ProductDetails.out_of_stock":"Currently out of stock. Please click <a href='http://www.yoursite.com/contactus.php'>here</a> to reserve next available copy."
}
</script>
where 'http://www.yoursite.com/contactus.php' should be replaced with an URL of the 'Contact us' page on your site.

If you want the link to open a pop-up window, as you mentioned, you can use a javascript code in the 'href':
Code:
<script>
ecwidMessages = {
  "ProductDetails.out_of_stock":"Currently out of stock. Please click <a href='javascript: alert(\"test\");'>here</a> to reserve next available copy."
}
</script>
This code above will just show a message 'test' when the word 'here' is clicked. You can replace the code 'alert("test")' with a call to some function defined on your site, which will open a popup and ask a visitor to fill a form. Such a popup cannot be done with the help of default Ecwid functionality, but since Ecwid storefront integrates in your site and acts like a part of it, you can develop a custom javascript mod on your site, which will create a popup and show the 'contact us' form on a particular product page.

If you need help with development of such a script, please contact our colleagues from Qualiteam at sales@qtmsoft.com , they will be glad to help.

Another way to place such link on the product details page is including it in the product description. If you place it on the top of description, your customer will see it right below the product image so they will be clearly informed what to do in order to make a purchase. The link may refer to your 'Contact us' page, or you can make it call for a pop-up window as mentioned above.

Ecwid Guide for Beginners

Ecwid Help Center

Ecwid video tutorials
Old 01-31-2012, 04:49 PM

Hey,

Thanks for the reply. I discovered yesterday how to include the link using the method you said. It works well, but i'm still going to focus on the javascript popup. I'll let you know how it goes.
Old 01-31-2012, 05:20 PM

So, i've been working on the code.

<script text/javascript>
ecwidMessages = {
"ProductDetails.out_of_stock":"Currently out of stock.<br /> <a href="void( window.open('http://www.jotform.com/form/20293657631','blank','scrollbars=yes,toolbar=no,wi dth=700,height=500'))">Preorder request form</a>"
}
</script>

That's the code so far, but I know I'm doing something wrong. Anybody good with JavaScript that can give me a hand?
Old 02-01-2012, 01:20 PM
Ecwid Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinyl Alibi View Post
So, i've been working on the code.

<script text/javascript>
ecwidMessages = {
"ProductDetails.out_of_stock":"Currently out of stock.<br /> <a href="void( window.open('http://www.jotform.com/form/20293657631','blank','scrollbars=yes,toolbar=no,wi dth=700,height=500'))">Preorder request form</a>"
}
</script>

That's the code so far, but I know I'm doing something wrong. Anybody good with JavaScript that can give me a hand?
I have checked your code. It doesn't work because it contains syntax errors. Here is a corrected version:
Code:
<script>
ecwidMessages = {
  "ProductDetails.out_of_stock":"Currently out of stock.<br /> <a href=\"javascript: window.open('http://www.jotform.com/form/20293657631','blank','scrollbars=yes,toolbar=no,width=700,height=500');\">Preorder request form</a>"
}
</script>
Please try it.

Ecwid Guide for Beginners

Ecwid Help Center

Ecwid video tutorials

The information in this thread might be outdated
If the solution did not help, please, check our Help Portal or contact Ecwid Team.