The information in this thread might be outdated
If the solution did not help, please, check our Help Portal or contact Ecwid Team.

Old 11-19-2011, 08:19 PM

The problem discussed becomes compounded due to the fact that, in Ecwid, a customer processing an order cannot stipulate multiple shipping addresses. Last night, a customer ordered three gift baskets from my website to send out as gifts. She did recognize that the information on the paypal processing page was wrong (that is, that the shipping information was filled in instead of the billing info), but since she had to go through the whole process each time for each destination, she ended up filling in not only the regular shipping and billing fields three times, but also that last paypal page, which had to be corrected everythime, was filled in three times. That is, she filled in nine information areas to ship out what, ideally, would have been one order requiring just four fill-ins (the three shipping addresses and one billing address). I was lucky not to lose her during the process.

I really like the shopping cart, but this is a pretty big issue. I hope it can be fixed.
Old 11-23-2011, 11:19 PM
Ecwid Team

Hi,
I understand your frustration and clearly see, that the current behaviour causes issues in some cases. The problem should be and will be fixed.
However the situation is much complex than it looks like from the first sight. It isn't about "Ecwid sends the shipping address instead of the billing one and doesn't want to change this", the problem is much deeper and is caused by the way PayPal works.

Please let me describe the problem in detail.
Actually PayPal allows to send them one address only to pre-populate the fields. Even if shipping and billing addresses can be different. I doubt that PayPal will change this, so we should live with this limitation.

1. If a customer's billing and shipping addresses are the same, then there are no problems at all. One correct address is sent to PayPal and appears in invoices.

2. The issues appears, if addresses are different. At this moment Ecwid sends the shipping one to PayPal. It causes problems, because customers need to change it sometimes.

If we send billing address to pre-populate the fields on PayPal, than there are two ways how PayPal will work:

Quote:
---
The PayPal billing page displays the prepopulated address. The buyer can modify the billing address. The Shipping Address on the Review Your Payment page displays the address from the billing page. The buyer can change the shipping address.
---
A customer will not need to re-enter his billing address, the shipping address will be displayed in the invoice, but the shipping address will differ from the entered on Ecwid's side one, because in most cases customers will just leave the shipping address which will be the same as billing one on PayPal unchaged.

The other solution is to not ask for a shipping address on PayPal at all, it will be asked in Ecwid only:

Quote:
---
The billing page displays the prepopulated billing address. The buyer can modify the billing address. There is no Shipping Address on the Review Your Payment page.
---
I like this approach and this is the best solution, however PayPal invoices will not display the shipping address at all. Is it OK?

@ecwid | Facebook | Ecwid Knowledge Base
Old 11-26-2011, 09:47 AM

I understand that paypal accepts only one address into their system which pre-populates the corresponding fields. The question is, does this one address that is sent from Ecwid to paypal need to populate BOTH the shipping and billing fields in paypal?

If it can be made to populate only one field, the best choice would be to have the customer enter the shipping address on Ecwid (thereby allowing the shipping cost to be calculated and displayed on the shopping cart), have that address sent to paypal and pre-populated as the shipping address, and then the billing address will be entered in paypal.

This requires the customer to enter the shipping address ONCE, and the billing address ONCE. And the fields in paypal will be correct.

If the shipping address is entered on Ecwid and sent to paypal as detailed above, why would it not appear on the paypal invoice? I believe it should.

There is a reason to enter the shipping address in Ecwid: to calculate the shipping cost.
Is there a reason to enter the billing address in Ecwid as opposed to entering it in paypal only?

Note: I am not addressing a multiple shipping address situation here, just a single shipping address per order.
Old 11-28-2011, 03:55 PM

The problem is with Paypal's unwilling attitude to make the changes to accept both addresses...one for the billing and one for the shipping label. OR we need to convenience ecwid provide us with a USPS shipping label preparation link to eliminate that dependence on Paypal. In that case I would support ecwid retaining that address just for their files. Admittedly, I don’t use a Paypal invoice…didn’t know they had one. Furthermore, the address on an invoice is a redundancy unless you filing a hard copy for reference purposes…which is also a redundancy.
Old 11-28-2011, 05:24 PM
Webpartner

I assume Paypal use the shipping address as the "billing address", for its "verified" check.

The problem lies with the customer not checking the information in the Paypal form.

What about if there was an alert window that popped up when the customer clicked on "continue" on the mode=checkoutPD page. It would only appear if the customer had selected a Paypal payment method.

It could say something like:

IMPORTANT PAYPAL PAYMENT INFORMATION

PLEASE READ

Paypal will automatically use the shipping address you have provided during the checkout stage of our website, as your billing address on the next page (this is part of Paypal's security policy).

If you want your order shipped to a different address to that which your Paypal account/debit or credit card is registered at please ensure that you change the billing address to that which your card/paypal account is registered at.

Then they click on OK or cancel.

---------------------------------------------
UtterApparel.com
ASLCreative.com
Zingaboo.com
Old 12-04-2011, 04:42 AM

I have read this entire thread and still don't see a solution to the problem.

Why does Ecwid send the shipping instead of the billing address to paypal? Is there a way that someone from Ecwid could fix this issue? You guys have an amazing product, but this seams like something that should work.
Old 12-07-2011, 03:11 AM

Default Is this why my order numbers skip around?

I have only received one customer who has been adament that he cannot purchase through PayPal but I wonder if this is the reason that my order numbers seem to be so random? If customers abandoned their order after getting a decline. I am relatively new to the world of eCommerce and still have a lot to learn!!
Old 12-07-2011, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucia Bay View Post
I have read this entire thread and still don't see a solution to the problem.

Why does Ecwid send the shipping instead of the billing address to paypal? Is there a way that someone from Ecwid could fix this issue? You guys have an amazing product, but this seams like something that should work.
Please, refer to this article: http://kb.ecwid.com/w/page/26814163/...eridsaremissed

You can see the unfinished orders, contact the customers who placed it and restore the orders to become normally placed in your shop in the Unfinished sales page of Sales tab in the Ecwid control panel. This page is only available for Silver plan account so you might consider upgrading to use it.
Old 10-02-2015, 02:29 PM

I see a relatively simple solution to the problem. Why can't ecwid put another choice in our dashboard: In case of the billing address being different from the shipping address, which address do you want to be forwarded to PayPal for the payment. That way, the people that need the shipping address to be forwarded in order to make labels can do so, and the rest that just expect the billing address to be sent can have that one sent. Seems like an easy enough solution to implement.
Old 10-08-2015, 12:32 PM
Ecwid Team

Hello,

Thanks a lot for your message!

PayPal accepts only one address and Ecwid sends the shipping address as it is more important information.

Thank you very much for your suggestion! I will forward your idea to our development team and will let you know if it is possible to implement it.

Help Center

⬇ Please click Thanks if my reply helped you.

The information in this thread might be outdated
If the solution did not help, please, check our Help Portal or contact Ecwid Team.