Why You Should Get More Customer Reviews Before the Holiday Shopping Season Begins
Holiday season is getting bigger and bigger every year.
Let’s take a look at some spending facts:
- Almost $1 trillion dollars was spent last year between November and January in the US
- Of that almost $100 billion was spent online
- The average retail store earns 20% of their total sales during the holiday season
The point is, it doesn’t matter what you’re selling. If people can buy it, a ton of them are going to buy it during the holiday season.
According to the NRF, a good chunk of people start holiday shopping quite early:
- 46% of women start shopping for the holidays in October or earlier, compared to 34% of men
- 42% of men and 38% of women do their holiday shopping in November
This means that it is crucial to have a holiday season strategy as early as summer because a sizeable portion of people begin shopping right around the start of fall.
Why You Need to Use Reviews
Now that you know how big the holiday season is, and when people start shopping, you understand how important it is to squeeze everything you can out of it.
And one of the best ways to do that is through the power of online reviews.
Reviews are perhaps the strongest marketing tool in a merchant’s arsenal.
Because they’re trusted, authentic, and increase sales.
How Trusted Are Reviews?
Nearly everyone reads reviews before they make a purchase online — and typically more than one.
- 58% of people read between
4-10reviews before they say they can trust a business.
- 88% percent of people say they trust reviews as much as personal recommendations!
What Impact Do Reviews Have On Sales?
You know that reviews are extremely important to customers. But does their importance translate to sales?
Let’s take a look at a couple of case studies.
Figleaves.com is a retailer of swimwear and underwear. They implemented a ratings and reviews system via Baazarvoice.
After 6 months, they found that products with reviews saw 12.5% more conversions compared to items without reviews.
Reviews also helped figleaves.com lower the ratio of people who viewed products to those who actually bought them.
1st Formations is a UK company that allows people to easily set up and register their limited companies (the British equivalent of an LLC).
They decided to use Trustpilot to help them collect and display reviews. After thousands of reviews, they began A/B testing the results.
1st Formations found that with reviews on their site, they increased their conversion rate from 2.4% to 6.8%!
Further, they found that when they removed the reviews from their homepage, sales dropped 31%.
Okay, Reviews are Super Important. How Do I Get Them?
There are many
he key thing to remember is that you should use a
To make the selection process easier, we’ve outlined a few platforms you should consider using.
TrustedSite Reviews provides a wide range of free reviews tools specifically created with the small business in mind. It’s easy to set up and is integrated on many platforms. Most importantly, it allows a small business to establish a baseline of trust because it lets them collect and display unlimited merchant reviews.
- Unlimited merchant reviews in free plan
- Respond to reviews in the free plan
- Easy sharing in across social media channels
- Import old reviews for free
- Question & Answer product
- Product reviews requires upgrade
HelpfulCrowd is a relatively
- Maximum price is $35 per month
- Free Question & Answer platform
- Sharing reviews across social media requires the paid plan
- Only 100 review invitations per month on free plan
- Customer photos and rewards are not available, and will not be free
Don’t Put this Off
Remember that collecting reviews is a somewhat involved process. It takes time to send out reviews emails and build up your score. If you wait until October to start doing this, by the time you have a solid score, many holiday season shoppers may have already spent their money — so don’t delay! Start collecting reviews now to be prepared for the holidays.