You can have the best
If you’re wondering, Where in the world should I go to find a good supplier for my store?, you’re not alone. Lots of eCommerce retailers have been in the exact same spot you are.
In this post, we’ll look at a few different options and where you can find them.
Listen to this article
Understanding Who Does What
Before you decide which option will be best for your
Manufacturers are typically in the business of making products — not selling them. Because of this, manufacturers typically only produce very large orders that are then parceled out and sold via wholesalers.
The wholesalers bridge the gap between the factory and the customer. Some wholesalers cater to a specific niche while others offer a variety of different products, but many often set up at trade shows so they can meet buyers who place orders for the product.
The value in working with a wholesaler is that you are able to get a discount on bulk orders rather than paying a retail price for your items (and then simply
There are a vast array of wholesalers for different industries (over 300K just within the U.S. alone, in fact.) Sometimes wholesalers are referred to as drop shippers if instead of keeping goods in stock, they transfer customer orders directly to the supplier. Essentially, both are forms of supply chain management that help ensure products get from the manufacturing floor to the client.
Online is a great starting place when looking for options. If you’re looking for a wholesaler offering a
- Alibaba is a Chinese wholesale marketplace that ships product worldwide with a large variety of products (more on that here.)
- eBay’s Wholesale Lots category is another option for bulk orders at a discounted price.
- Worldwide Brands is a directory of wholesalers grouped by merchandise type.
- Etsy has a supply category with many options for
However, if you’re looking for a wholesaler for your niche market, an initial Google search for
- Rings & Things: Jewelry making supplies, beads, and tools
- Wholesale Jewelry Supply: Findings, bulk chain, beads, and more
- Rio Grande: Metal, clay, gemstones, and general jewelry wholesale
Using these wholesalers, you’d be able to purchase bulk materials at a lower price (which is good news for your bottom line) and then assemble your jewelry products before launching them in your online store.
Note: Be sure to ask around about wholesale relationships, too. Reach out to others in your niche and introduce yourself, and ask for a moment or two to ask them a few questions. You may find that someone has an existing wholesale connection they’re willing to share, or there may even be a local supplier who can meet your needs.
Wholesalers and Trade Shows
If you want to explore more wholesale options, visiting a trade show tailored to your market is a great way to connect with wholesalers who can help stock your online store. At the trade show, you’ll get the chance to visit many different booths and
- Magic: Apparel, Footwear, Accessories
- JCK Las Vegas: Jewelry
- CES International: Consumer Technology
- SuperZoo: Pet Retailers
- ABC Kids Expo: Child Products
Even if you leave the trade show without making any orders, you’ll leave feeling inspired and full of new ideas for the coming months.
Finding the right wholesale solution for your business does take some time, but when you find the right option, it’s more than worth the investment. As you are able to fill more orders and constantly keep fresh, new items in stock, you’ll begin to notice the benefits of those bulk purchases at a wholesale rate.
Get looking! It’s time for you to find your perfect supplier, so we wish you the best of luck in your search.
- How to Find Distributors for Your Product
- How To Find a Manufacturer for Your Product Idea
- Where to Find a Wholesale Supplier for Your Online Store
- The Science of Contacting Suppliers When You’re Starting a Business
- How to Find the Right Supplier on AliExpress
- How to Choose a Clothing Manufacturer
- Finding the Right Furniture Manufacturer
- How to Choose Plastic Suppliers
- Connecting With Cosmetics Manufacturers
- How to Find the Best Toy Manufacturers
- What Are Private Label Manufacturers
- How to Get Companies to Send You Tools (Samples) for Free
- Understanding Supplier Code of Conduct
- How to Evaluate Supplier Performance
- Strategies for Managing Supplier Relations