You’ve done it..you are officially the owner of an online business. Here’s an air five (cause you know..germs). Now what?
With a disposable amount of marketing tools in your reach, distinguishing between the various types of
You can attract customers with social media, email campaigns, digital content, and more. We’ll describe each
What Is an
E-Commerce Marketing Strategy?
To develop your
- Set goals, or define what you want to achieve. For example, increase the number of website visitors or the amount of online sales. Your goal should be achievable and measurable.
- Break down your strategy into actionable steps. What are you going to do to achieve your goal? For example, if you want to increase the number of website visitors, you might want to work on your SEO, promote your store on social media, or email campaigns.
How Can I Learn
When you’re just starting, everything
- Browse Marketing and Promotion section in our blog
- Listen to the Ecwid
E-commerceShow to learn from e-commerceexperts
- Or, subscribe to the Ecwid blog newsletter. You’ll get new blog posts, and podcast episodes about
e-commercemarketing delivered right to your inbox.
How Can I Promote My
Content marketing tips for beginners
Content marketing is creating and sharing valuable content for free to get customers’ attention to a product or service.
The most popular formats of such content are blog posts and videos. For example, a watch store can share a blog post on choosing waterproof watches. A yoga teacher can upload a YouTube video that explains the morning yoga routine.
You can create other types of content, too, like printables,
No matter what format you choose, your content should be helpful to your target audience. If your video helps, educates, or entertains potential customers, they’ll see you as an expert in your niche. That, in turn, increases the chance they’ll buy from you.
When creating content to promote your store, make sure:
- it answers customers’ questions about your product or industry
- it improves your site’s ranking in search engines.
Google and other search engines do not automatically find your content once you hit publish. Here’s what you can do to ensure your content improves your site’s ranking in search engines:
- Identify the primary keywords people would use to find your product or to research your industry. You can use various keywords research tools like Google Keyword Planner.
- Share your content with links to your site on forums, websites, and social media pages related to your products. Links create connections for search engines, and these make searches that include your store rank it higher on the results.
- Have at least 600 words of content on each page of your site to provide the details that get indexed by search engines. However, don’t add content just for the sake of it. Always think about your customers. Write about what they’re interested in and what they want to know about your product.
- Create an FAQ page on your website with responses to high volume,
long-tailkeyword searches to get users to your site.
- Enable social sharing buttons for services like Twitter and Facebook inside your store to help your visibility. The more visibility your store has on social media, the more organic traffic you can drive.
- How to Promote Your Online Store With Content Marketing
- 4 Сontent Marketing Strategies to Beat the Content Overload
Email marketing tips for beginners
Email marketing is the most
- of consumers would like to receive emails from brands weekly
Emails are great for getting repeat customers: shoppers are eager to return when they receive info on new products, promotions, or sales.
To start using this
pop-upemail capture forms. State why subscribe to your mailing list. If you have seasonal inventory changes, have the pop-upsay something like: Don’t miss out when our hottest seasonal items become available! Test different forms out regularly to make a significant impact.
- Offer discounts to reward current customers and keep them coming back. You can even offer discounts for customer referrals. Sellers that use Ecwid’s Venture plan (or higher plans) can quickly generate discount coupons through their Control Panel.
- Use a contest to incentivize email signups. When people share their email address with you, make that an entry into a contest or giveaway. Not only will you build excitement around your contest as people enter, but you can also get them to share a word about the contest.
If you use Ecwid, customer emails are collected right at checkout when customers place an order. If a customer doesn’t finish placing their order, their email is still saved to send them an abandoned cart recovery email.
After you collect your customer emails, it’s time to send out your newsletter. You can manually send to smaller lists, but once the list grows beyond 50 email addresses, you should look into using an email service provider like Mailchimp.
Ecwid is already integrated with Mailchimp. You can use it to collect customer emails via
Another set it and forget it email marketing solution is automated emails. You can automatically send emails to your customers when they complete specific actions in your store. For example, when they add a product to their favorites or complete a purchase.
Automated emails help retain customers and activate shoppers who haven’t purchased anything from you in a while.
With Ecwid, you can send seven different types of automated emails. You don’t need to write an email copy or send out campaigns manually. You just click Enable toggle in your Control Panel, and customers will receive emails that will reach the right person at the right time.
- 10 Smart Ways to Grow Your Newsletter List
- How To Write A Welcome Email That Sells
- 22 Things That Make Your Newsletter Look Like Spam
Pay-per-click advertising for beginners
When an online seller uses
Paid search ads and ads through Google are currently the premiere PPC ad system. You’ll want to get started with Google Ads, and the tools are easy to use.
If you sell a more general product, but to a particular demographic or interest group, you may want to begin with Facebook Ads. Facebook Ads will allow you to
Here’s a couple of tips to get you started:
- Start with a low daily budget, then experiment and tweak your approach based on results. Not every ad will be a home run. Experimenting with ad types will help you find what works best to ensure you get the most value out of any money you put in.
- Don’t forget that every social media outlet now has their PPC advertising system. Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, Snapchat, YouTube, you name it. Take a look at which social media platforms benefit you the most and put some money into PPC campaigns there to grow your footprint and create a business.
- Use conversion tracking codes like Google Ads Tag, Facebook Pixel, Snap Pixel, and Pinterest Tag to know where the completed sales came from and repeat the most successful campaigns’ practices.
More tips on
Social media marketing tips for beginners
There are many reasons why social media is an effective tool for
Remember: you don’t have to be everywhere at once. Explore social media sites wisely and use platforms that best showcase your products and reach the audience you’re targeting.
Facebook is usually an excellent fit for almost any business. It has customizable marketing and tracking tools with a massive reach. Plus, you can add your Ecwid store to your Facebook page.
Twitter is a useful outlet if you have the time and resources to send consistently shareable tweets to develop a following. Twitter is also an easy place to encourage customers to share items from your store as well.
Instagram and Pinterest will be nice homes for your business if your product has a strong visual element. For example, if your store sells clothing or other unique items that need to be seen to be purchased, these are sites you need to invest in. Plus, with Ecwid, you can sell your products on Instagram with Shoppable Tags.
LinkedIn makes a natural platform for selling products or services geared to businesses and professionals.
Snapchat and TikTok are great if you sell to a younger audience (although if you don’t, you can still use it to your advantage). Those platforms work best if you promote your business with fun, entertaining content, so be ready to get creative. For example, here’s how San Diego Zoo entertains their followers:
Another method of
Encourage customers to share their experiences or pictures of their products on Reddit so you can reap the rewards of having
After you choose your social media platforms, follow these steps to set up your profile:
- Get yourself a business page — it’ll provide you with helpful tools and analytics of your profile and followers activity
- Write a clear and concise bio for your profile
- Think through your imagery and profile navigation if needed
- Learn how to use hashtags
- Decide what you’re going to post.
Remember that being active on social media doesn’t mean spamming your followers with salesy posts. Stick to educational and entertaining content, engage followers into meaningful discussions, run giveaways, share customer’s pictures with your product.
Using social media to build a community around your brand helps you build relationships with customers and eventually drive them to your store.
- How to Grow a Business on Facebook for Free
- 11 Expert Instagram Marketing Tips For
- 19 Social Media Activities to Wake Up Your Followers
E-Commerce Marketing Tips
We’ve shared some digital marketing tips for beginners that will help you start promoting your store online. Sending out newsletters, creating social media presence, sharing valuable content, and a bit of PPC advertising makes a solid base for marketing your new store.
If you want to learn more about
Just launched your store and are trying to stay on a budget? Say no more, we’ve got a list of
Now, it’s your turn. Which
- Ecommerce Marketing Tips for Beginners
- How GS1 GTINs Can Power Your Ecommerce Business
- How to Launch A Podcast for Your Store
- 26 Google Chrome Extensions for Ecommerce
- How to Create Customer Profiles
- How UTM Tags Help Analyzing Your Online Shop Traffic
- How To Do SWOT Analysis
- Landing Page Best Practices
- A/B Testing For Beginners
- Inspiring Company Mission Statements
- The Best SMS Services for Ecommerce
- Top 12 Digital Marketing Tools
- Performance Marketing Explained