European merchants, today is your lucky day: Ecwid
Now your customers can pay for their purchases via Klarna, PayPal Plus, iDeal, Giropay, Sofort, and SEPA in addition to the 50+ payment methods already supported by Ecwid. What does that mean for you?
- More satisfied shoppers: since these payment methods are wildly common among European customers, they expect them at the checkout in your store.
- Fewer abandoned carts: providing popular payment methods ensures more customers finish their purchases. Many European shoppers prefer to pay with debit cards, bank transfers, or in installments rather than with a credit card.
- Lower payment fees for you: new payment options have lower fees compared to other methods.
Best of all, with Ecwid
If your store is located in Europe, or you have lots of customers from European countries, read on! We’ll give you the
In this post:
- New European Payment Providers Supported by Ecwid
- Why You Need to Offer More Payment Methods
- How to Add New Online Payment Options
New European Payment Providers Supported by Ecwid
Excited to convert more European customers (as in, get them to buy stuff) by offering their favorite ways to pay? Here are six new payment providers they’ll be happy to see at your checkout.
Klarna is #1 market leader in buy now, pay later services. It allows online shoppers to make a purchase without paying upfront, which makes it much easier to decide on a purchase. That, in turn, creates more opportunities for higher conversions and bigger sales for you as a seller.
With Klarna, you can let your customers pay for their orders via three payment options:
- Klarna. Pay now: customers pay for their orders immediately using their online banking details
- Klarna. Slice it: customers pay in four
- Klarna. Pay later: customers can order first and pay 30 days after purchase by invoice without any fees.
Even if your customers choose to pay later or over time, you get paid upfront and in full by Klarna.
Klarna’s payment methods are available in Sweden, Norway, Finland, Denmark, Germany, Austria, The Netherlands, Great Britain, Australia and the USA. One million transactions are made with Klarna every day. Adding such a widespread payment method ensures you’re meeting the needs of your customers. That, in turn, minimizes cart abandonment in your store.
Learn how to accept Klarna payments in your Ecwid store.
PayPal Plus is a popular payment solution created for the German market. It allows you to offer PayPal, credit cards, direct debit and Pay by Invoice as individual payment options at checkout.
Note: PayPal PLUS is available in the German and Latin American markets. With Ecwid, you can accept payments with PayPal Plus only in Germany.
With PayPal Plus, customers can pay for purchases in your store even if they don’t have a PayPal account.
Learn how to accept PayPal Plus payments in your Ecwid store.
If you sell in the Netherlands, you simply can’t do without iDEAL. This popular payment method enables consumers to pay online using their bank credentials. It redirects shoppers to their online banking environment to authenticate a payment, using two factor authentication.
iDEAL is the most popular online payment method in the Netherlands, with a share of online transactions close to 55%. Just think about it: every other transaction there is paid with IDEAL. Set it up in your store and expect more orders from your Netherlands shoppers.
Learn how to accept iDEAL payments in your Ecwid store.
Giropay is a common online bank transfer payment method that is wildly popular with German customers. 85% of all German shoppers can enable Giropay. Even more impressive, this payment gateway accounts for 16% of all online transactions in Germany.
Giropay is accessible by more than 45 million users. With no extra registration, customers can make transfers with their online banking credentials. Right after the payment, you receive an irrevocable payment guarantee. That allows you to process the order immediately and ship it quickly. Plus, compared to other payment methods, giropay has lower fees.
Learn how to accept giropay payments in your Ecwid store.
Sofort is a
With Sofort, shoppers can transfer funds directly to merchants from their bank accounts. All they have to do is login with their banking information and enter a transaction authentication number (TAN) (or the equivalent version for their country and bank). Remember, the easier it is for a customer to pay in your store, the more they are likely to finish the checkout process.
Learn how to accept Sofort payments in your Ecwid store.
Selling across the borders in the EU? Then SEPA is for you! It is a payment method widely used across countries in the European Union.
Single Euro Payments Area (SEPA) allows you to receive online payments from European customers in euros using a single bank account.
SEPA currently covers 36 countries and territories: the 27 EU Member States plus the United Kingdom, Iceland, Norway, Liechtenstein, Switzerland, Monaco, San Marino, Andorra and Vatican City/Holy See. Your EU customers might expect to see SEPA at checkout, so make sure you can provide it for them.
In Germany, SEPA direct debits account for 20% of the payment market. SEPA is also very popular in Denmark, Norway, the UK, and Poland.
Learn how to accept SEPA payments in your Ecwid store.
Why You Need to Offer More Payment Methods
One of the main factors that influence a buyer’s decision to purchase are payment methods available in the online store:
- A lack of payment method variety is one of the primary reasons that shoppers abandon their carts. A recent survey found that 20% of digital shoppers abandoned their carts because their preferred payment option was not offered.
- Customers are more digitally integrated than ever before, and like to explore new payment methods. In 2019, one out of five Europeans preferred to use fintech payment methods like giropay, SEPA, or Sofort for their online purchases.
- European shoppers have diverse choices regarding online payments. For example, customers in the UK and France prefer card payments and
e-wallets.Payment by invoice ranks high in German-speakingcountries, while Dutch shoppers predominantly use the online banking method iDEAL. So if you sell across borders, you can’t go wrong with having multiple payment options in your store.
How to Add New Online Payment Options
To accept payments online, open a merchant account with a payment provider that is supported by Ecwid. Then choose this payment processor when adding an online payment method in your store.
In Ecwid, giropay, Sofort, iDeal, SEPA, and Klarna are available via Stripe integration. Stripe is a common and
Here’s how to set up Giropay, Sofort, iDeal, SEPA, and Klarna in your store:
- Go to the Payment page in your Control Panel.
- Scroll down and click Choose Payment Method. You’ll be able to choose Giropay with Stripe, SOFORT Banking (via Stripe), iDEAL (via Stripe), SEPA Direct Debit (via Stripe), or Klarna (via Stripe).
- Click Connect. You’ll be taken to the Stripe website where you’ll need to log into your existing Stripe account or create a new one.
- Make sure the payment method you choose is activated in your Stripe account.
- After connecting the chosen payment method via Stripe, you will be redirected from the Stripe website to your Ecwid store. In the Payment method name at checkout, enter the name under which customers see this payment method at checkout.
- Turn on the Enable this payment method at checkout setting.
- In the Payment instructions for customers, add a description of the payment method for your customers, it will appear at the checkout. (optional)
That’s it! Now you can accept payments with giropay, Sofort, iDeal, SEPA, or Klarna.
For PayPal Plus, things work a little differently. Here’s how to enable it in your Ecwid store:
- Go to the Payment page in your Control Panel.
- Scroll down and click Choose Payment Method → PayPal PLUS.
- Apply for PayPal Plus by clicking on the link:
You will be redirected to PayPal website where you can log into your existing account or create a new one and apply for PayPal Plus.
- Once your PayPal Plus account is approved, enter your PayPal email and click Save.
- Make sure that PayPal Plus is activated in your PayPal account. Click Continue to PayPal to check the status of the PayPal Plus.
- You can also accept payments with the Pay upon Invoice option. To activate it, simply click on Apply for Pay upon Invoice. You will be redirected to the PayPal website where you can apply for the invoice payment option.
- In the Payment instructions for customers field, add information for your customers at checkout. (optional)
After that, the PayPal algorithm will automatically offer relevant payment options to your customers at checkout based on their location and browser cookies.
Connect New Payment Methods
The more convenient the checkout process is in your store, the more likely your customers are to finish their purchase, and return as repeat customers. A lot depends on payment options you offer, so make sure you choose the ones that best cater to your customer’s needs.
Are you thinking of adding new payment methods to your store? Which providers would you like to see on the list of gateways supported by Ecwid? Leave your thoughts and suggestions in the comments!