Jun 22, 2016 by Nick Bergin, Ecwid
Must-See Movies For Entrepreneurs
You’re an entrepreneur, working hard day and night trying to get your idea off the ground and grow a budding business. While watching a movie doesn’t seem like a great tactic when you’re putting together your business plan, the down time can help give your mind space to process cumbersome problems. And hey, maybe you’ll find yourself a bit more motivated if you watch movies where you see people crushing it.
So here it goes, my top seven movies that will help you become the entrepreneur you want to be.
- The Social Network
–This is an obvious (but great) choice. It has tech, entrepreneurs, and Aaron Sorkin. Key takeaways: keep your friends as friends and try not to make enemies. But if you do, make sure you get all the money.
- Glengarry Glen Ross — ALWAYS BE CLOSING.
- A Beautiful Mind — The movie is great and all, but your business would benefit more from the purchase of the soundtrack — the original score is great working music. If you happen to watch the movie, you’ll find even paranoid schizophrenia couldn’t stand in the way of a Nobel Prize, so don’t let anything stand in the way of your goals either.
- Creed — Sylvester Stallone reprises his role as Rocky Balboa alongside Michael Jordan (not that Michael Jordan) in a film about overcoming early obstacles to take advantage of opportunities — even fluky ones you’re not 100% sure you’re ready to take on. Lesson learned: start before you’re ready. Taking the first steps generates the momentum you need to move forward.
- The Big Short — Read the book; it’s much better.
- Jiro Dreams of Sushi — I think everyone can learn from the Japanese work ethic and their attention to detail. Jiro is portrayed not only as as the quintessential sushi chef, but also an amazing artist and host. Take notes.
- Finding Nemo — At last, a kid friendly movie. And an important truth: whatever happens, you gotta keep swimming.
Inc. published their own list of 15 Netflix Documentaries Every Aspiring Entrepreneur Should Watch earlier this year. While I can’t endorse this list in good conscious (does a compilation of Ted Talks constitute a documentary?), I have to respect Goudreau and Lebowitz leading with Jiro. Seriously, Jiro’s the bomb.
Have you watched more motivating movies? Share with us in comments!
Stay up to date!
Get free e-commerce tips, news and inspiring ideas delivered directly to your inbox