Old 02-11-2011, 06:59 PM
Ecwid Team

Default Planned major improvements of our Facebook app

Facebook has recently introduced two major changes. New pages (btw, do you like them?) and iframe tabs for pages.
The "Iframe tabs" change sounds like a geeky stuff, but it means much for all Ecwid users, who are using or planning to use our Facebook app to sell on Facebook.

As you may already know, if you add our app to your FB page, a new app tab named "Products" will appear.
This tab will show some random products from your store and a link to your main full-featured Facebook store.

We choose this way for numerous reasons, the main ones are speed, performance and security.

The great news are that the recently added "Iframe tabs" feature will allow us to show your store right inside the app tab without the drawbacks "old" tabs have!
So, what does it mean for Ecwid users?

1. No more static "Products" tab with random products and "Open your store" button linked to the main FB store. The tab will show a full-featured Ecwid store.

2. Your customers will be able to see your products and browse them as soon as they open the "Products" tab. No extra click anymore!

3. It will be possible to customize the tab's look using custom CSS themes.

I believe your very next question will be "When it will be released?!". : -)
We don't have an exact ETA yet(we need to release v7.0 first), but this improvement are on top of our roadmap.

@ecwid | Facebook Page | Ecwid Knowledge Base
Old 02-12-2011, 06:04 AM

Are you not still limited by 520px width? We've already optimized for 760px Facebook Apps by consolidating and reducing the size of Ecwid's default fonts. I also don't see this working well with product options either. Maybe you have a solution. Please seek community input on how you plan to do to address these issues.
Old 02-14-2011, 02:54 PM
Ecwid Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Hefter View Post
Are you not still limited by 520px width? We've already optimized for 760px Facebook Apps by consolidating and reducing the size of Ecwid's default fonts. I also don't see this working well with product options either. Maybe you have a solution. Please seek community input on how you plan to do to address these issues.

Max,

When we add new features to Ecwid we follow two main rules:
- new changes and features should not break the existing stores and their look
- new features should look perfect, we don't tolerate not-cool ugly features

So of course all the existing Facebook stores will continue to work as they do now. We will not force anyone to a new FB solution. If you're happy with the current way your FB store works -- that's great and we appreciate your decision. Your store is your store, we will not do any major appearance changes without your permission. We completely understand that many Ecwid users do some custom changes in their stores, so we try to do the best to make sure the new features will not affect such modifications. It makes our life much complex, because keeping the backward compatibility isn't easy, but we believe it's very important for the Ecwid community.

One of the reasons all Ecwid pages weren't displayed in a tab initially and a tab was linked to the main application "canvas" inside Facebook is the fact all the app tabs are 520px wide only. Tabs are too small to show proper checkout and product pages. We admit and completely understand this.

So we're considering the following solution: we will add three new modes of displaying Ecwid store on FB:

- a tab shows some random products and is linked to the main wide Facebook canvas page with the store (the way it works now)

- a tab shows categories/products and allows to browse them without leaving this tab. As soon as you try to view details of any product, you will be redirected to a wide Facebook canvas page (a the necessary product is opened automatically of course)

- a tab shows categories/products and also allows to view product details and checkout in the special Ecwid interface, designed for the narrow pages.

So a merchant will be able to select a view mode, he/she likes the most. This isn't the final decision of course, we're open to all suggestions and ideas!

Old 02-14-2011, 04:10 PM

Ahh, this is brilliant news!
I never liked the current FB/Ecwid store solution so was about to delete it.
Old 02-14-2011, 08:46 PM

Keep going! I am thankful for this improvement!
Old 02-16-2011, 12:59 PM

Any chance this will make sharing/posting about products easier. It's a annoying now and it's important to keep interest up.
Old 02-16-2011, 05:37 PM
Ecwid Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn Granger View Post
Any chance this will make sharing/posting about products easier. It's a annoying now and it's important to keep interest up.
Each product has its own FB share button (check this thread for reasons why we use Share button instead of the Like one). However this button shares a product to your personal wall. This is how Facebook works.

Do you need a tool which will help you to share products to your page's wall?

Old 02-16-2011, 05:37 PM
Ecwid Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandma View Post
Ahh, this is brilliant news!
I never liked the current FB/Ecwid store solution so was about to delete it.
What should we improve in our FB app? Any suggestions?

Old 02-16-2011, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qetzal View Post
What should we improve in our FB app? Any suggestions?
I think the improvements that was mentioned the other day is spot on. The real store without having to click the "open my store" (which it seems no one of my friends understood) and getting rid of the random stuff is a great improvement.
Old 02-16-2011, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qetzal View Post
Each product has its own FB share button (check this thread for reasons why we use Share button instead of the Like one). However this button shares a product to your personal wall. This is how Facebook works.

Do you need a tool which will help you to share products to your page's wall?
Yes that is what I really need. Then I could promote to fans of the product, not just my personal fans. For me there is a difference, a big one. The fans / friends of each are almost completely different.

Tags
facebook