Old 03-12-2010, 06:00 PM

Default ability to "sell" product with zero cost.

I would like to know if it is possible, or a workaround to be able to sell a few digital goods with a cost of $0.00 ; Currently if I set the price to that, I get a message saying the price must be greater that zero. What I would like to do, is offer free produts the same way I offer paid products. I guess I could always just host the digital file and place a link in the product description, but I like the idea of having a user being able to receive the free product the same way as a paid product.

Any thoughts?
Old 03-14-2010, 02:50 PM
Ecwid Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate Andreshak View Post
I would like to know if it is possible, or a workaround to be able to sell a few digital goods with a cost of $0.00 ; Currently if I set the price to that, I get a message saying the price must be greater that zero. What I would like to do, is offer free produts the same way I offer paid products. I guess I could always just host the digital file and place a link in the product description, but I like the idea of having a user being able to receive the free product the same way as a paid product.

Any thoughts?
It's possible to use $0.00 as a price. Check the attached screen-shot.

Please send me a screen-shot of the error you get.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	product-00.png
Views:	41
Size:	14.3 KB
ID:	204  

@ecwid | Facebook Page | Ecwid Knowledge Base
Old 03-16-2010, 03:02 AM

Default the Error

So I guess I was mistaken, the error I get is only when you try to "checkout" without having any "priced" products in the cart. So currently if a customer was going to "purchase" a free product. They technically would not have access to the free product unless they also were making a purchase for a "priced" product at the same time. Is this how it is suppose to be? Below is the message I get...see screenshot....

Old 03-16-2010, 02:24 PM
Ecwid Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate Andreshak View Post
So I guess I was mistaken, the error I get is only when you try to "checkout" without having any "priced" products in the cart. So currently if a customer was going to "purchase" a free product. They technically would not have access to the free product unless they also were making a purchase for a "priced" product at the same time. Is this how it is suppose to be? Below is the message I get...see screenshot....
Ecwid itself allows to have free products. However PayPal Express Checkout doesn't allow to checkout if the order total is zero.
So it isn't Ecwid's, but PayPal's limitation.

As a workaround enable any "offline" payment method, for example "Phone ordering". Using this method you will be able to checkout with a free product. If you want, you can also rename this payment method: http://kb.ecwid.com/How-do-I-change-...

Old 06-17-2010, 12:02 PM

Default Free Products

I have a few e-downloads that we give away as teasers. Is there a way to have orders with only these products auto-confirmed ($0 orders)? We want to keep it through the store for tracking purposes.
Old 06-18-2010, 01:55 PM
Ecwid Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDO Team View Post
I have a few e-downloads that we give away as teasers. Is there a way to have orders with only these products auto-confirmed ($0 orders)? We want to keep it through the store for tracking purposes.

1. At the moment, if a store owner doesn't get a payment immediately (i.e. so called "off-line payment", for example "Wire Transfer") , orders always get the "Queued" status. The "Accepted" status means that you've already got the payments, that's why you need to set this status manually.

2. However I agree that in many cases it'd be useful to set the Accepted status automatically, if order total is zero. Unfortunately Ecwid doesn't have this feature yet, so could you submit your suggestion at ideas.ecwid.com?

As a workaround I suggest creating a custom script. So if your customer wants to download teasers, he/she enters his/her email, presses the "Download" button and gets the files. So you will be able to track downloads by saved emails.

Old 06-19-2010, 01:04 AM

i set my product to purchase order & left instructions to fake out the PO questions..& set the price to 0.00 of course...it sent the download links to my extra email & works fine..
Old 06-21-2010, 04:20 PM
Ecwid Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by xo.love.x2 View Post
i set my product to purchase order & left instructions to fake out the PO questions..& set the price to 0.00 of course...it sent the download links to my extra email & works fine..
Thank you for sharing this.

Old 06-23-2010, 06:12 PM

no problem :0]
Old 10-25-2010, 12:24 PM

Default How to offer a free downloadable product ?

Hi,
I am selling a few downloadable products.
As a sample, I would like to offer just one of them free of charge.
My payment method is Paypal, and when I change the price of the free product to 0, I cannot proceed with my order as the amount is 0.
If I activate DEMO payment, of course, this will be freely downloadable, but for ALL my products !
How can I assign a specific payment method just for one product ?
Thanks

Tags
digital goods, free, product, products