Old 05-09-2012, 04:15 AM

Default Only using ecwid for the product page/making a custom html category page

What would be the major draw back of using my own html for the category grid pages and then just link to the ecwid product pages?

I have my shopping cart in my Wordpress header so that would always be there. I also plan on hiding the "Continue Shopping" button and making my own to link back to my custom category page listing my products in a grid.

The reason I want to do this is to use some jquery features on my custom page. Stuff like rollover images with prices and stuff. I just want something fancier than what stock Ecwid offers.

It seems to me it would look seemless to a customer at least for a non mobile site. I'm sure there might be some navigation issues that's why I ask.

What do you guys think about this?
Old 05-11-2012, 08:34 PM
Ecwid Team

It is totally possible to create custom categories page. However, you should remember that if you use static page for categories, the changes made in Ecwid control panel will not be applied to this page automatically. All categories info like image, name, description you will need to change manually, directly on the custom categories page.

Alternatively, you can generate custom categories list using Product API functionality, which allows to get categories list dynamically. In this case, all categories’ changes made in Ecwid control panel will be applied to custom categories page automatically.

One more thing you should remember - you should exclude the possibility for customer to open standard categories page. As you correctly noticed, you should change “Continue shopping” button link and hide breadcrumbs links.

All these changes will allow you to use custom categories page.

------------------
Welcome to our new Help Center!