Old 04-26-2012, 07:42 PM

Default tax in google checkout not correct by destination

i'm having problem getting tax to apply correctly in google checkout, which is not applying tax correctly according to destination.

when the destination is my home state illinois, i want it to apply tax. when it is another state or canada, i don't want tax applied. google checkout is not showing tax to illinois destinations, although sometimes it does, but when i change the shipping destination (to hawaii for example, and then back to illinois) it does not change the tax according to the destination. it shows only 0% tax when i set to illinois.

the tax by destination seems to be working correctly using the offline payment method in ecwid. illinois = tax, non-illinois destination = no tax.

the setting in my google checkout merchant account is set to apply tax domestically by state, only in illinois set to 9.75% - not applying to shipping cost.

1. i have 2 taxes setup in ecwid: illinois 9.75% tax, other zones =0%
2. and 2 destination zones set up: zone 1 = illinois, and zone 2 = canada + 49 other states and territories

any suggestions what i'm doing wrong?
Old 04-30-2012, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagodinerwebstore View Post
i'm having problem getting tax to apply correctly in google checkout, which is not applying tax correctly according to destination.

when the destination is my home state illinois, i want it to apply tax. when it is another state or canada, i don't want tax applied. google checkout is not showing tax to illinois destinations, although sometimes it does, but when i change the shipping destination (to hawaii for example, and then back to illinois) it does not change the tax according to the destination. it shows only 0% tax when i set to illinois.

the tax by destination seems to be working correctly using the offline payment method in ecwid. illinois = tax, non-illinois destination = no tax.

the setting in my google checkout merchant account is set to apply tax domestically by state, only in illinois set to 9.75% - not applying to shipping cost.

1. i have 2 taxes setup in ecwid: illinois 9.75% tax, other zones =0%
2. and 2 destination zones set up: zone 1 = illinois, and zone 2 = canada + 49 other states and territories

any suggestions what i'm doing wrong?
As far as I understand, the tax for Illinois is:
- only applied, when a customer selects Illinois in the shipping address in Ecwid
- displayed, when this customer proceeds to Google Checkout
- not applied back after the customer changes his/her shipping address on Google checkout to some other state and then back to Illinos.

Is that correct?

The matter is that Google Checkout is not just the payment methods, it helps to collect the essential customer's credentials (like billing and shipping address) on its recognized secure sites instead of doing that on your site. Thus when a customer proceeds to Google checkout, all the data, collected about his order on your site (shipping address and tax including) are forwarded to Google checkout site. Then, if a customer changes his/her shipping address there, on Google checkout site, no data from your store about the tax settings is applied, because the customer is not on your site already, and no settings from your site are applied. But on the last checkout step the customer returns to Ecwid, and if his/her order shipping address is Illinois on that step, the tax will still be applied on that step.

In case it works some other way in your store, please let me know your store URL.

You may also find the following post useful:
http://www.ecwid.com/forums/showthre...
Old 05-02-2012, 09:49 PM

Here's the URL http://www.veggiediner.com/wp/?p=151 of our webstore. I needed to put it 'live' but it still seems like it's not calculating tax correctly in Google Checkout (GC) in some situations.

The behaviors seem different than you described. The (ecwid) Store does not require customer information such as shipping address prior to selecting Google Checkout (I do not have 'customer must create account to place order' activated because MOBILE orders are disabled with that setting), nor does Google Checkout appear to go back to Ecwid to finish the order process.

I checked with our accountant, and he indicates that as an located Illinois business, the shipping destination dictates sales tax. So regardless of the Customers billing address, out of state destinations are NO tax, in state destinations (regardless of Billing address) are WITH tax.

The 4 scenarios and GC's apparent behaviors are thus:
BILLING ADDR within IL + SHIPPING ADDR within IL = GC correctly applies tax
BILLING ADDR outside IL + SHIPPING ADDR outstide IL = GC correctly applies no tax
BILLING ADDR within IL + SHIPPING ADDR outside IL = GC incorrectly applies tax
BILLING ADDR outside IL + SHIPPING ADDR within IL = GC incorrectly does not apply tax

Google Checkout seems to be only going by billing address (despite an explicit option to go by shipping address instead). Although, sometimes it seems to get information from Ecwid if the shipping estimator is used. The problem is that the shipping estimator seems to retain information from previous sessions which is sometimes wrong.

GC has an option to apply tax rules IF the store software does not provide tax information. I have tried GC with rules activated and without rules activated, and neither seems to work correctly by shipping destination. It's starting to seem more like a GC problem than an Ecwid problem.

Is there some way to require customer to create an account and input shipping information prior to going to GC, but still allow MOBILE users to place orders (and that does not require customer to repeat entering the same info again if signing up for Google Checkout for the first time.)

Last edited by chicagodinerwebstore; 05-02-2012 at 09:54 PM.