Old 01-28-2011, 10:27 AM

Default problems with shipping

HI
This is a great product, so much better than several I tried and gave up on! I suspect the current problems I have with shipping is a fundamental error on my part but I seem unable to resolve it.

I have some products listed with a fixed rate shipping charge depending on each items weight, (I have checked that the weight box is filled in for those products), some items are for pick up only and some have free postage .
When I check each item on a individual basis the shipping appears to work, however, when I start to mix different products into the shopping bag, there is no postage given for any item

http://www.secondhandhorsestuff.com/...

I am not sure if you can follow this link as its still in test mode and is set to "private" on my wordpress dashboard.

Any help much appreciated
Jackie
Old 01-28-2011, 05:23 PM
Ecwid Team

The reason you don’t have a shipping on larger orders is because of weight limits in the shipping methods, that are not meeting the gross weight of the whole order.

To further work on the solution for you, I would need a clarification on the following. When a customer mixes in one order some products for local pickup and other ones that can be shipped by mail, how would you fulfill that order and what do you expect from Ecwid?
Have a question? Look up the answer at our help portal!

⬇ Click Thanks, please, if this reply helped you.

Last edited by Eugene Rimmer; 01-29-2011 at 06:43 PM.
Old 01-29-2011, 10:28 AM

Good morning Eugene
Thanks for getting back to me, I anticipate customers doing one or the other ie: they are local to me and will pick all of their ordered items up or they are too far away so will only order items that can be posted, it probably appears a tad clumsy but due to the nature of what I sell (large items like saddles) and who I target (local horse owners) it seems a logical approach...
Am I being too ambitous wanting to mix some weighted postal items, some pick up items and some free postage?
I spent time yesterday trying to work out zones, re-reading the shipping instructions and still don't quite get it! so if I need to simply what I am trying to achieve then that would be fine, particulary as I generally find Ecwid really user friendly.
kind regards
Jackie
Old 01-30-2011, 12:16 PM

Hi
How do I rectify the
"you don’t have a shipping on larger orders is because of weight limits in the shipping methods, that are not meeting the gross weight of the whole order." ?
Thank you
Jackie
Old 01-31-2011, 03:24 PM
Ecwid Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacqueline Breese View Post
Hi
How do I rectify the
"you don’t have a shipping on larger orders is because of weight limits in the shipping methods, that are not meeting the gross weight of the whole order." ?
Thank you
Jackie

You should raise the upper limit of a valid shipping method, so it meets the total weight of a reasonable and valid order. I can see now that you have a 1000 kg upper limit on one of your 'UK post' methods, and if that does not solve the problem, ensure that you have a weight set for all shippable products. Products without weight do not require shipping at all.

We are working on a solution covering your first request and have a method to provide a choice between local pickup and postage along with free shipping products and prohibit local pickup only items for orders with shipping.

Old 02-01-2011, 09:33 AM

Thank you
You provide an impressive level of support particularly

"We are working on a solution covering your first request and have a method to provide a choice between local pickup and postage along with free shipping products and prohibit local pickup only items for orders with shipping."

I have been experimenting with how different options work and your original question regarding what I wanted from Ecwid set me thinking, it may be more professional to offer shipping on every item and let the customer decide, I managed to achieve this which resulted in the options being made avaible at point of checkout but I am a little concerned that due to the way that paypal express checkout works the shipping costs still remain visible until the customer changes it back to local pick up, hope you can follow my ramblings, the solution that you are working on certainly ticks every option so maybe I should wait a while.
Much appreciated
Jackie
Old 02-01-2011, 12:17 PM
Ecwid Team

Jacqueline, thank you for patience. Here is what we came to.

I suppose the following:

1. Local pickup should be available for local buyers only, it is of no use for those living on the other side of island, they should not be able to select it.

2. Free postage and charged postage items can be freely mixed...

3. ...but if local pickup items are mixed with others AND customer is not local, the order is invalid and cannot be placed (unless local pickup items are removed).

If this is all right, then you should do the following:

1. Create a Local zone: this is what you already successfully did, that's great.
2. Assign 0 charge for local zone in local pickup method - this is also done in your shop. Also, raise the upper weight limit to some unimaginable number like 1000000 kilos. This will be needed later to prohibit local pickup only items from ordering for postage.
3. Set the correct charges for postage shipping methods. You have now a 3 tier setup for UK shipping, everything is right, great.
4. Go through your whole inventory, visiting details page for each product.
- On the General tab, check weight field.
If the item is for local pickup only, set it's weight to 2000 kilos. This way the product won't go through usual postage method, and if the customer trying to buy the product is not local, there won't be any shipping methods available and the order will not be placed. I would also suggest appending the words 'for local pick up only' to product name.

If the item is not just for local pickup, then set it's real weight (this is important).

- Then see the 'Tax and Shipping' tab. In that tab, if the product is eligible for free postage, choose Free from the Shipping Freight dropdown. In all other cases (i.e. local pickup or usual postage fee) make sure the dropdown is set to 'Use Global settings'.

Unfortunately, step 4 is to be done on every of your products manually, there is currently no way to mass-edit products, nor to import these bits of product data. So it can take long time.

Once you are done with these changes, try placing an order. If you set a non-local shipping address and try to buy a 'local pick up only' item, the order should not have a shipping method and should not go through. This might be confusing for customers, so I suggest having the words 'for local pick up only' in product names and a written warning that if customer cannot place order, s/he should check the shopping bag and ditch the local pickup only items.

Old 02-01-2011, 01:33 PM

Hi
I will implement this now, I will , of course, let you know of the outcome! thank you for so much time and effort, kind regards
Jackie
Old 02-01-2011, 03:14 PM

followed your instructions and IT'S WORKING! sorry to shout , just very pleased, thank you so much........
jackie